Yahrzeit Minhogim, and saying Keil Moleh Rachamim

יותר
28 אפר 2008 23:45 #286 מאת rallisw
According to our nusach, does one ever recite a Keil Moleh Rachamim on behalf of one's deceased relatives around the time of their Yahrzeit?

Rallis

Minhag Avoseinu Torah Hee!

Please התחברות to join the conversation.

יותר
30 אפר 2008 00:22 #289 מאת Michael
תגובה מMichael בדיון Yahrzeit Minhogim, and saying Keil Moleh Rachamim
This Teffiloh was not used in Ashkenaz. On the day of the Yahrzeit one was expected to fast.

Michael FRBSH

יותר
30 אפר 2008 14:23 #292 מאת Litvak
תגובה מLitvak בדיון Yahrzeit Minhogim, and saying Keil Moleh Rachamim
"This Teffiloh was not used in Ashkenaz"

It was never used ? Not even at a levaya ? Or you just meant not used around a yohrzeit ?

Litvak

יותר
01 מאי 2008 20:33 #294 מאת Michael
It wasn't used at all. It only was used in nusach Polin.

Michael

יותר
05 מאי 2008 13:45 - 18 אפר 2017 03:30 #299 מאת Litvak
תגובה מLitvak בדיון Yahrzeit Minhogim, and saying Keil Moleh Rachamim
This thread intrigued me and I felt a need to know more as to why Minhag Ashkenaz would not say it, so I did some research, and, בס"ד, with the help of a friend, I found the following.

1) Sefer Minhogei Hakehillos on minhogei Mattesdorf/Sheva Hakehillos reports that it was also not said in certain Oberland kehillos in the area of Hungary.

2) Sefer Yalkut das vadin by R. Yehudah Assaf z"l states that the tefilloh of Keil Moleh Rachamim was composed by ר' אהרן בּרכיהו ממודינא, mechaber of the famous sefer 'maavor yabok', in the year 5304 (1544 C.E. or thereabouts).

Based on the above and what I have learned from the works of Rav Hamburger shlit"a, I assume that it wasn't accepted in Ashkenaz because a) it is a relatively 'new' tefilloh and, b) there seem to be Kabbalistic/esoteric aspects to it, which the Rabbonei Ashkenaz felt should be reserved for baalei madreiga and not placed out in public for everyone, when some people were not on the madreiga of such things (my recollection is that the sefer maavor yabok is a work which draws heavily on kabbalistic teachings. Also, I saw somewhere that the mechaber was a talmid of the famed mekubal R. Moshe Cordovero).

This is just my speculation. Presumably Rav Hamburger shlit"a would be able to be mosif more. Nevertheless, I feel it is helpful to try to understand why something is not said, to a get a more complete understanding of the inyan.

Litvak

יותר
05 מאי 2008 17:45 - 18 אפר 2017 03:30 #303 מאת Michael
I just talked to Rav Hamburger about this, and he told me that in Ashkenaz generally the tendency was not to accept new Tefillos to be said in shul.

We do see that sometimes Yechidim used this Tefilloh in Ashkenaz to be said in a Hesped, (usually by Rabbonim from Poland).
See the MMA website under Kevuroh:

הספדים
על גדולי תורה נהוג לשבת ארצה אחר ההספד, מלבד בערב ראש חודש אחר חצות, מפני קדושת ראש חודש. תוך כדי ישיבה ארצה יש יחידים שנהגו לומר

אֵ-ל מָלֵא רַחֲמִים שׁוֹכֵן בַּמְּרוֹמִים הַמְצֵא מְנוּחָה נְכוֹנָה תַּחַת כַּנְפֵי הַשְּׁכִינָה בְּמַעֲלוֹת קְדוֹשִׁים וּטְהוֹרִים מַזְהִירִים כְּזֹהַר הָרָקִיעַ אֵת נִשְׁמַת (פב"פ) בַּעֲבוּר שֶׁבְּלִי נֶדֶר אֶתֵּן צְדָקָה בַּעֲדוֹ בִּשְׂכַר זֶה הַקָּדוֹשׁ בָּרוּךְ הוּא יַסְתִּירֵהוּ בְּסֵתֶר כְּנָפָיו לְעוֹלָמִים וְיִצְרֹר בִּצְרוֹר הַחַיִּים אֶת נִשְׁמָתוֹ ה' הוּא נַחֲלָתוֹ וְיָנוּחַ עַל מִשְׁכָּבוֹ בְּשָּׁלוֹם וְנֹאמַר אָמֵן
(Thanks to Rallis for pointing this out)

Michael

יותר
26 ספט 2011 00:09 #2039 מאת JMGoldschmidt
תגובה מJMGoldschmidt בדיון Yahrzeit Minhogim, and saying Keil Moleh Rachamim
What does one do to commemorate a Yarhzeit other than fast (and NOT say kel malei rachamim or make a siyum)?

JMGoldschmidt

יותר
16 אפר 2017 22:40 #2791 מאת Israel
תגובה מIsrael בדיון Yahrzeit Minhogim, and saying Keil Moleh Rachamim
Do we light yahrzeit candles in Ashkenaz?