Rosh Hashanah foods/Simanim

יותר
02 ספט 2008 17:05 - 09 אוק 2012 00:17 #556 מאת Altgold
Rosh Hashanah foods/Simanim נוצר על ידי Altgold
Is it the Ashkenazic custom to have the symbolic foods during the dinner meal on the first night of Rosh Hashanah? That is, the fish head, etc?

Is there any specific custom relative to the shape or type of challah used during the Yomim Noryaim?

Is it Ashkenazic custom to serve the Challah with honey instead of salt during the Yomim Noryaim?

Brian

Please התחברות to join the conversation.

יותר
03 ספט 2008 00:11 #560 מאת ynathan
תגובה מynathan בדיון Rosh Hashanah foods/Simanim
The Maharil mentions eating the head of a sheep. I'm trying to remember where I saw this, but the Maharam MeRothenburg dipped his fish in honey as well.

Yehuda Nathan

יותר
03 ספט 2008 01:50 #570 מאת Michael
תגובה מMichael בדיון Rosh Hashanah foods/Simanim
The minimum which was done in every place was to dip an apple in honey. Those who could get more simonim tried to get the other simonim mentioned in the Gemoro.
The challos on Yomim Nouro'im are round.

Michael FRBSH

יותר
27 אוג 2009 13:17 #1367 מאת rallisw
תגובה מrallisw בדיון Rosh Hashanah foods/Simanim
May one come up with a new food and it's accompanying YR?

Does one eat these foods on the 2nd night as well?

Rallis

Minhag Avoseinu Torah Hee!

יותר
28 אוג 2009 19:27 #1372 מאת MPerlman
תגובה מMPerlman בדיון Rosh Hashanah foods/Simanim
Rav Heinemann from Baltimore (also a yekke) holds that one may come up with a new food and make up a YR. To this end, he would take a raisin on a celery stick and make a YR for a Raise in Salary, something that we all could use. However, one of my former Roshe Yeshiva, Rav Eliyahu Silbermann (also a yekke) held that one should be careful how one words the YR as one might create more harm than good. For example, a person should not have a spoonful of soup, Marak in Hebrew and say "Sheyimarku Avonoseinu", because we might not enjoy the cleansing. Perhaps one could add "Vlo al y'dei Yissurim Vachalayim Ra'im".

MPerlman

יותר
28 אוג 2009 20:51 #1376 מאת Michael
The Chasam Sofer says one should do the simonim mentioned in the Shulchan Oruch because they are most common, and if one can find the foods mentioned as simonim in the Gemoro, that is very good.
There was no Minhag to add simonim not mentioned, (like today people take Coca Cola and say Shetishma Koleinu etc.)

Michael FRBSH

יותר
01 ספט 2009 04:43 #1379 מאת MPerlman
תגובה מMPerlman בדיון Rosh Hashanah foods/Simanim
The YR from Rav Heinemann and the Coca Cola one (I never heard of that one) are taking a new food and making a new YR. In Eastern Europe, though they could not obtain Rubya to say Sheyirbu Z'chuyoseinu, would eat carrots which called Meiren in Yiddish. Meiren has the same connotation as Sheyirbu. They would make then that YR with the carrots.

MPerlman

יותר
15 דצמ 2011 15:29 #2066 מאת Yisroel Strauss
תגובה מYisroel Strauss בדיון Rosh Hashanah foods/Simanim

Michael wrote: The challos on Yomim Nouro'im are round.

Are round challahs a German Minhag on R”H as claimed above? Until about 1970 only twisted and straight Challahs were sold in the bakeries under KAJ even for R”H and Shavuos. Now one can buy round also. (I am sure the rabbinate did not make these decisions.) My wife’s cousin, a baker in Brooklyn under KAJ, since about 1985 told me round was just easier on the bakers when they had to bake many. (I thought it was one of his jokes until I noticed one year in a WH bakery under KAJ when the last day of Pesach was Thursday that on Friday morning they only had round Challahs but when Pesach ended earlier in the week the Challahs were regular.)

Yisroel Strauss

יותר
15 דצמ 2011 15:30 - 27 אוג 2012 13:30 #2067 מאת Hamburger B. S.
תגובה מHamburger B. S. בדיון Rosh Hashanah foods/Simanim
כתב נינו של ה'קרבן נתנאל', רבי יעקב יוקב ווייל, תורת שבת, קרלסרוה תקצ"ט, סי' רע"ד, סוף ס"ק ב': בכל מקום שראיתי, עושים בכל השנה הלחמים ארוכים, רק בר"ה עגולים

בהונגריה כתב נכדו של החת"ס, רבי שמעון סופר מערלוי בעל התעררות תשובה, בהוספות 'שיר מעון' לספר תורת משה לחת"ס, מהד' רביעאי, בודאפשעט תרפ"ח, עמ' קכט-קל (תורת משה, מהד' מכון חת"ס, ירושלים תשנ"ב, דברים, עמ' מז): "נראה לי טעם על מנהג בני ישראל שבאשכנז, שהלחמים שאופין מראש השנה עד הושענא רבה לכבוד שבת ויום טוב עושין אותם עגולים, מה שאין כן בכל השנה עושין אותן ארוכות. והטעם אפשר כמו שנוהגין שגם בערב יום כפור ובהושענא רבה מטבילין פרוסת המוציא בדבש ואוכלין הדברים שרגילין לאכול בראש השנה לסימן טוב, כמבואר בשולחן ערוך, ובראש השנה יכתבון וביום כפור יחתמון, ובהושענא רבה שהוא גמר החתימה עושין גם כן סימן טוב, וכן בלחמים עושין אותן עגולים, כי דבר עגול אין לו קץ וסוף, והוא לסימן טוב לאריכות ימים בלי קץ, ובלי ספק דברים אלו הנאכלים המה לעשות פועל דמיון שמחזק הענין לטובה וכמו שכתב הרמב"ן פרשת לך לך על פסוק והיה ברכה [בראשית יב, ו], וזה לשונו: ודע כי כל גזירת עירין כאשר תצא מכח גזירה אל פועל דמיון, תהיה הגזרה מתקיימת על כל פנים, ולכן יעשו הנביאים מעשה בנבואות כמאמר ירמיהו שצוה לברוך , וכן ענין אלישע בהניחו זרועו על הקשת [מלכים-ב יג, טז –יז]: 'ויאמר אלישע ירה ויור ויאמר חץ תשועה לה' וחץ תשועה בארם'. ונאמר שם [יג, יט]: 'ויקצוף עליו איש האלקים ויאמר להכות חמש או שש פעמים אז הכית את ארם עד כלה ועתה שלש פעמים תכה את ארם']. עד כאן לשונו. עיין שם בארוכה ותמצא נחת. ולכן עושין גם אנחנו דברים שמרמזים על ענינים לטובתינו

על כל פנים בשני ימי ראש השנה ודאי היה כן המנהג באשכנז דידן

Hamburger B.S.

יותר
07 אוק 2012 18:51 - 09 אוק 2012 00:17 #2190 מאת aumann
תגובה מaumann בדיון Rosh Hashanah foods/Simanim
what about this question?

Altgold wrote: Is it Ashkenazic custom to serve the Challah with honey instead of salt during the Yomim Noryaim?

יותר
12 פבר 2013 05:10 #2234 מאת Michael
The first source for Challah with honey seems to be the Trumas Hadeshen (Ostreich). He mentions it as the Minhag in the first two days of Rosh Hashono. This is brought later also in the Mogen Avrohom. We don't find a Ashkenaz Reinus mentioning for such a minhag.
The Tur and then the Maharil bring the Minhag to dip the apple in the honey. This is found in Minhoegi Worms also. (The Shvus Ya'acov says the reason for this is so there will not be a sofek if to say later when eating the apple the Brocho on the apple or the honey).
At earlier times there was a Minhag to dip the head of the lamb in honey.

Michael FRBSH