Tehillim

More
22 Jun 2008 13:19 #398 by Alexander Weil
Tehillim was created by Alexander Weil
Tehillim have taamei mikra beneath them and I am wondering if there is an Ashkenazic mesorah for the leining. Also, when during the year would tehillim be said in an organized fashion. I can think of Tikkun Leil Shavuos and Hoshana Rabba as well as before mincha of Rosh Hashanah. Are they said each day of the month by the tzibbur or b'yachidus?

Alexander

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Jun 2008 03:50 #409 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Tehillim
There is no known Ashkenazi melody for the Te'omim of Tehillim.
From the end of the days of the Rishounim, until the 20th century, every day before Shacharis part of the Tehillim were said, and the Tehillim were finished every week. This was not done by the whole tzibbur, only by some people in shul. Later, the Tehillim was split to the days of the month and only once in a month was it finished. The Tehillim are said Posuk Posuk (one by the chazzan and one by the Tzibbur), in the melody of Shir Hayichud. (You can hear it done today this way in GGBH).

Michael FRBSH

More
13 Aug 2009 01:10 #1300 by MPerlman
Replied by MPerlman on topic Tehillim
The only known melody for the Ta'amim of T'hilim is the Syrian melody, which they taught us in Silbermann's Yeshiva. I have heard that a cassette exists of a Galician melody but have not yet obtained it. And when I learned in Washington Hights I heard some say that since the tune we sing for L'dovid on Motza'ei Shabbos dates back to the Beis HaMikdash (supposedly Rav Yaakov Emden says so, I never saw it inside), perhaps the melody for the ta'amim can be reconstructed from there. However, there is no basis for this suggestion as we sing some of the same ta'am sequences in L'dovid in different ways.

MPerlman