Shofar During Elul

More
14 Aug 2009 14:04 #1326 by Daniel
Shofar During Elul was created by Daniel
When blowing the triple TASHRAT in the evening, is this done after Mincha or after Ma'ariv? Does this have anything to do if Mincha and Ma'ariv are separate or together? (R' Hamburger has one way, R' Breuer has the other).

Daniel

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Aug 2009 23:47 #1346 by MPerlman
Replied by MPerlman on topic Shofar During Elul
In the Beis HaMidrash al shem Rav Shlomo Breuer (in Washington Heights) the shofar was blown at Shacharis and Mincha. Mincha was, if I remember correctly, between 1 and 2 in the afternoon. I do not remember what they did in the main shul where they davened Mincha regularly after what most other communities considered shki'a.

MPerlman

More
21 Aug 2009 02:27 #1352 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Shofar During Elul
The Minhag was to do the Tekios at Ma'ariv. The Oruch Hashulchon and R' Moshe Feinstein were opposed to making Tekios at night, therefore they held that if one Davens Ma'ariv Bizmano - the Tekios should be after Mincho. There is no source for this according to Minhag Ashkenaz.

Michael FRBSH

More
21 Aug 2009 15:11 #1357 by Daniel
Replied by Daniel on topic Shofar During Elul
A simple nafka mina: Tonight (when I'm writing this) is the first night of Elul - do we blow or not after Ma'ariv. I guess in the Heights they do not, but in most MA shuls they do. Is this a correct assumption? Actually, MPerlman brings up a very good point: as we've discussed elsewhere mincha in Breuer's does not begin until 10 minutes after shkia (used to be 15 minutes). Does this change anything? Perhaps they still blow after Mincha on Rosh Chodesh. Maybe we can ask R' Strauss as to what is done in the later minyan.

Daniel

More
21 Aug 2009 15:12 #1358 by Daniel
Replied by Daniel on topic Shofar During Elul
Is the Shofar blown on Motzei Shabbos? At what point in davening is the shofar blown? (Shacharis and Ma'ariv).

Daniel

More
21 Aug 2009 21:25 #1361 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Shofar During Elul
The Shofar is blown on Motzo'ei Shabbos too. It is blown at the very end of the Davening, at night after Oleinu and at Shacharis after Kaddish of Shir Mizmor Le'osof.

Michael