Tallis color & stripes

More
27 Jan 2009 03:27 #841 by SBS
Tallis color & stripes was created by SBS
Have talleisim always been white, and, if so, why? Is it the same reason as the Kittel is white?

Did Talleisim always have stripes, and, if so, why? Why black stripes - or were they not always black? If not, what color were they? Why are the stripes positioned as they are, so that the stripes are on the section covering the shoulders only?

Steven

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
27 Jan 2009 14:24 #843 by Daniel
Replied by Daniel on topic Tallis color & stripes
I don't believe that there would be any reason why the stripes would go over one's shoulders as really one should wear the tallis draped down over the arms so it is an atifa. This is what I understood from R' Hamburger. I believe that R' Hamburger mentions somewhere (although this should be confirmed) that the black stripes are to show our aveilus for Yerushalayim.

Daniel

More
01 Feb 2009 03:16 #863 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Tallis color & stripes
The use of lines in clothes is a very old Jewish style, and was found in Archeological diggings from the time of the second Temple. This may have originated from Yosef's Ksones Pasim.
There was no Halachik Hakpodo in Ashkenaz regarding the color of the Tallis, in Worms the Chazzan's Tallis was colorful. But usually all Talleisim were Black lines on white, most likely because this way one does not draw attention while Davening, and everyone has a similar Teffiloh garment.

Michael FRBSH

P.S. Rav Hamburger didn't recall a connection between the Black lines and mourning on the Churbon.

More
03 Feb 2009 13:09 #871 by YCohen
Replied by YCohen on topic Tallis color & stripes
If you take a look at the painting "The Wedding" (1861) by Morritz Oppenheim, all the tallis stripes are blue.

YCohen

More
04 Feb 2009 01:00 #873 by rallisw
Replied by rallisw on topic Tallis color & stripes
The Bad Homburg synagogue, in an effort to encourage early attendance, set aside three blue striped טליתות for the first boys under בר מצוה to arrive at synagogue.

Rallis

Minhag Avoseinu Torah Hee!