mesorah of Esrog

More
22 Sep 2008 13:30 #609 by meirk
mesorah of Esrog was created by meirk
I saw in one sefer of minhogei Ashkenaz, that the massoures in Ashkenaz is to use Etrogei Kalabria (Yanove). What about to use the Eretz Israel's Etrogim? And if the etrog (Israeli) is from an tree planted with a Yanove's seed?

Toda

Meir

Meir Koschland

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 Sep 2008 04:56 - 23 Sep 2012 13:53 #612 by Melech
Replied by Melech on topic mesorah of Esrog
I've read that some say that the special chezkas kashrus that the Chasam Sofer and other Rabbonei Askenaz gave to the Yanove Esrog has sadly disappeared. Specifically, during the period of WWII when Genoa was occupied by the Nazis ימ"ש, and Jews couldn't go out to tend to the esrog pardesim, the claim is that, due to a shortage of other materials, non-Jews came in and used many esrogim to make cosmetics, and (I'm not clear on this point) either definitely or possibly were markiv many of the trees with lemon trees in order to strengthen the esrogim.

Melech

More
23 Sep 2008 23:21 #614 by meirk
Replied by meirk on topic mesorah of Esrog
Uau! This is very strong!
To see if it is murkov, aren't there some signs?

Meir

Meir Koschland

More
24 Sep 2008 00:53 #619 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic mesorah of Esrog
There is much discussion about the Yanove Esrougim. Satmar Chassidim hold that some are not murkav even today, and take from certain orchards which they hold to be acceptable. In Eretz Yisroel you cannot find Yanove Esrougim outside of Kfar Chabad, and there are questions about them. The regular EY Esroug doesn't have Masoures, but comes from an esroug the Chazon Ish held to be okay.

The Yemen Esroug has a good Masoures, like the Yanove used to have.

Michael FRBSH

More
12 Aug 2009 23:03 #1285 by MPerlman
Replied by MPerlman on topic mesorah of Esrog

Michael wrote: In Eretz Yisroel you cannot find Yanove Esrougim outside of Kfar Chabad, and there are questions about them.

One of the questions is that of Dina D'malchusa Dina. Since the Italians forbid the export of their esrogim from the country, it might be osur to use one.

MPerlman