Machine matzos vs. Yad Matzos

More
16 Apr 2008 04:45 #249 by jacob
Machine matzos vs. Yad Matzos was created by jacob
A friend of me, who lived for some years in Israel told me, that Ashkenasim he met there prefer matzot shmura machine instead of matzot shmura al yad.
I am interested which matzot are used at KAYJ and why?

Jacob

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2008 12:24 #251 by Daniel
Replied by Daniel on topic Machine matzos vs. Yad Matzos
A fascinating article just appeared on this topic in the Hamodia Magazine. First, I found it interesting, that most of the ones apposed to machine Matzah were chasidish (but not all), and most of the Rabbanan that were pro machine Matzah were not. The following Rabbanim were “Yekkish” and very pro the machine Matzsos: Rav Yisroel Lipshitz, Rav of Danzig, Rav Avraham Binyomin Sofer (son of the Chasam Sofer), Rav Yaakov Yukov Ettlinger (Aruch L’nair, R’ Hirsch’s Rebbe), Rav Yitzchak Dov Halevi Bamberger, the Wertzberger Rav, and Rav Yaakov Kapchel, Rav of Worms.
The reasons that the mattirim so favored the machine Matzos are as follows: the speed of the machine is incredible (the entire procedure was not more than 3 minutes – it is interesting that the Chasam Sofer’s hand matzah only took 2-3 minutes – and today’s modern machines are even faster), the machine is easy to clean, the machine is not considered a “difus” a form, the machine is considered lishmah (when it is turned on) as somebody has to operate it, many of the people making the hand Matzos “were not righteous or trustworthy…[or] not well versed in the halachos of Matzah baking.” With the machine, only a yorei shomayim who was well versed in halacha was permitted to run it, the machine remains cool to the touch, much cooler then when the kneading is done by hand.
So the Machine Matzos were (and are by many) considered more mehudar than the regular hand Matzos. I personally will only use machine at the Seder. I think that today machine Matzah is unpopular in most places. I wonder what the Minhag concerning this is in other Yekkish families?
Daniel

Please Log in to join the conversation.