Tosefes Yom Tov

More
03 Apr 2008 13:38 #227 by Daniel
Tosefes Yom Tov was created by Daniel
My understanding is that all Yomim Tovim start early in order to fulfill the mitzvah of Tosefes Yom Tov. R’ Hamburger שלי"ט has an article on this in Shorashei MA concerning the time that Shavuos is to start. His conclusion, (I believe), is that Maariv should be early, but that Kiddush should not be recited until tsais. This is to fulfill the chidush of R’ Yaakov Pollack. My question is does this also include all of the other Yomim Tovim? For example on Succos we have the limud of טו טו. Must one wait to start Kiddush until tsais? How about the first night of Pesach for the Arbah Kosos? In essence, is it that one must start Yom Tov early but not say Kiddush until tsais, or is this only for Shavuos and Kiddush can always be said earlier?
In a related question, is there a problem of reciting Kiddush within the time frame of Shema? (I believe that it is a fairly straightforward Halacha that one is not permitted to eat or drink within the time frame of many mitzvos. One of these is Shema). As by Shavuos, if one were to say maariv early, by the time tsais comes and he is ready to say Kiddush, I think he would really need to recite Shema first. (Barring that the Magen Avraham writes that one is Yotzei Shema by krias Shema al Hamita – on Shavuos if one is not going to sleep – he should certainly need to make sure to say Shema before Kiddush as there will be no other time when he will be yotzei)?
Daniel

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Apr 2008 03:39 #237 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Tosefes Yom Tov
There is no Inyon to start Arvis early on Yom Tov, and Tosefes Yom Tov can be done by accepting Yom Tov early without davening Arvis. But many times Arvis was davened early for practical reasons. In that case usualy Kiddush was not said in Shavu'os till tzeis hacochovim, but in the other Yomim Tovim the Kiddush to was done early (sukkos pesach etc.).

Michael FRBSH

Please Log in to join the conversation.