Six-doubled sounds

More
17 Jan 2015 23:24 #2498 by YbAa
Six-doubled sounds was created by YbAa
BGDCPT Ashkenazim say Tav-Sav, Beit-Veit, Pei-Fei. But why Ashkenazim don't say the same group's Gimmel-Ghimmel, Dalet-Dhalet, Caf-Ckhaf?
Or all six letters must be hard-soft or none of them but not a part definitely! Why Ashkenazim say just a part of those words correctly?

But Sefer-Yetzirah says about another model BeGeD CaPoReT, where is Reish-Rheish form (I saw in Tanakh Reish with Dagesh many times).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Jan 2015 08:52 #2503 by Melech
Replied by Melech on topic Six-doubled sounds
Ashkenazim have always distinguished kaf and khaf.

Melech

More
29 Jan 2015 15:41 #2504 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Six-doubled sounds
I think the question would be mostly about Daled and Gimel. The Yemenites have one of the Gimels similar to the letter "J" in English. And one of the Daleds similar to "TH" (as in "the", "those" etc.). They also pronounce the Tof without a Dagesh as "TH" (as in "three", "think" etc.).
Someone one pointed out something interesting - all the letters which are not used in German, are not found in the way we pronounce the Hebrew letters, (since the Jews in Europe come from Germany). This could also be the reason there is also no "W" (and the letters ו and ב sound the same).

More
29 Jan 2015 15:57 #2505 by YbAa
Replied by YbAa on topic Six-doubled sounds
Is it true Amsterdam-Sfaraddim say Waw instead of Veit (אורהם instead of אברהם) because Arabs don't have Veit-letter?
Teimanim say Ghimmel like J-sound because of Arabian-influence, I think. Because Arabs don't have G-sound (Arabs pronounce Quph-letter like G-sound).

Do you really think Germans (Yiddish?) influenced Ivrit as Arabs influenced Teimani-Ivrit too?

More
30 Jan 2015 04:50 #2506 by Melech
Replied by Melech on topic Six-doubled sounds
Interestingly, there is one area in Yemen where the Arabic Gimmel still has its original hard G sound (as is widespread in Egypt). And there was also one region in Teiman where the Teimanim used a hard G for the Gimmel dgusha, instead of the J sound. I'm almost sure that it was taluy zeh bazeh. The Gimmel refuyah is pronounced by all Teimanim as a voiced khaf, just like a Gimmel degusha is a voiced kaf.

Melech

More
31 Jan 2015 23:09 #2507 by YbAa
Replied by YbAa on topic Six-doubled sounds
Dageshed Reish in Tanakh: Hhavaqquq 3:13, Ezrah 9:6, Yirmeyahu 39:12, Shir-haShirim 5:2, Yehezkel 16:4, Mishlei 3:8 and so on.
According to Sefer-Yetzirah Reish also may be rafeh and Hhazaq in BeGaD CaPRaT.
How to pronounce Reish-rafeh, like French rh-sound in modern Israel?