Stam Sofer

More
06 Apr 2014 22:13 #2366 by NMuhlgay
Stam Sofer was created by NMuhlgay
Hello,
I was wondering whether we have maintained our ancestral stam sofer, what it looked like (having never seen a proper sefer of German origin) and if anyone still writes it. Soferim in the US have told me that most Ashkenazim use m"b Beit Yosef.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Apr 2014 03:16 #2373 by Daniel
Replied by Daniel on topic Stam Sofer
"Bais Yosef" is also known as "Kesav Ashkenaz". Presumably, this is the Ashkenaz kesav, as it is not Ari or Velish. There are some varying articles that touch on this topic in various volumes of Yerushaseinu.

More
14 Apr 2014 04:49 #2375 by NMuhlgay
Replied by NMuhlgay on topic Stam Sofer
I am aware of some differences between our ancestral sta"m and the modern version of Beit Yosef used by Litvaks et al, my question is whether the style used by Eastern Ashkenazim is also now used in our communities. For example, in the small pictures I've seen of German sta"m, our פ is much closer to that used by the Sephardim than the form in Polin-Lita. Below is an example which has been authenticated as coming from a German sefer.

[img]http://http://i.stack.imgur.com/vAlTK.jpg[/img]

More
14 Apr 2014 18:26 #2376 by Daniel
Replied by Daniel on topic Stam Sofer
Unfortunately I can't see the picture, although I would like to. The style of writing has definitely changed over time...for example, today's STAM are written in more of a block style...previous STAM had more of a spidery look (I don't know how else to describe the difference). If you come across any specific sources on the topic, I would be interested in seeing them.

More
18 Apr 2014 06:06 #2378 by Seligmann
Replied by Seligmann on topic Stam Sofer
see Seligmann Baer's Tikkun. I don't remember the name, it can be found on Otzar Hachochma. I think Tikkun Lakore Velasofer

More
22 Apr 2014 03:17 #2380 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Stam Sofer
Attached is the image NMuhlgay referred to.
Attachments:

More
22 Apr 2014 05:12 #2381 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Stam Sofer
As mentioned above, Beis Yosef writing isn't Sephardic writing, it is the opinion of the "Boruch She'omar" which is the Austrian writing, very similar to Minhag Reinus.
In the last generations, there were in Ashkenaz places which kept the old writing, and there were places which didn't keep as much the old writing.
But the Beis Yosef writing of these days isn't the same as any of the old ways which were written, it is a modern writing. There are expert who know how to write in the old authentic writing, and you can see more material about this in an article by Rav Avrohom Strauss, on the 6th volume of Yerushoseinu (year 5772).

Michael FRBSH