How to Shake a Lulav

More
10 Oct 2012 10:00 #2193 by Daniel
How to Shake a Lulav was created by Daniel
According to the Minhagim of Worms, a person should shake the Lulav 36 times. Is this the Yekkish minhag? This would imply that I am shaking it 3 times in front of me, and then three times away from me in each direction...this is not the way I am currently shaking my lulav. How should it be done?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Oct 2012 14:22 #2200 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic How to Shake a Lulav
Please explain more - we actually do shake three times to each direction, but this still sums up only to 18 times, 3 times X 6 directions.

Michael

More
25 Oct 2012 03:55 #2202 by Daniel
Replied by Daniel on topic How to Shake a Lulav
Perhaps I am not understanding the sefer correctly. This can be found on page 204 in R' Hamburger's edition of the Minhagim of Worms.

This is a paraphrase of R' Yosef Shames: After making the brachos...he should immediately shake the lulav 36 times. He should bring his hands to the east and shake three times, after to the south three times, to the west three times, to the north three times, then up three times and down three times. All of them should be b'holacha u'vhaba'a, between all of them, 36 times.

It sounds to me, as if he should shake it near himself, then extend and shake again. Then pull it back to himself and shake, and extend and shake. And repeat a third time. That would equal six times in each direction. Am I understanding the text correctly? If so, is this just for Worms, or have I been doing it incorrectly?
Thanks!

More
05 Nov 2012 15:47 #2212 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic How to Shake a Lulav
It seems from the Minhogim of Worms that the shaking was done as you said. But the Minhag today is that the shaking is done only after the Lulav is extended.

Michael FRBSH