Shaving the beard

More
05 Aug 2010 15:22 #1816 by GBaum
Shaving the beard was created by GBaum
Can I shave with an electric shaver, and which one can I use?

GBaum

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 Jan 2011 04:44 #1883 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Shaving the beard
This question cannot be answered with the old Poskim of Ashkenaz, since in their time there were no shavers.

FRBSH

I asked moreinu Harav Gans Shlito about this, and he told me there is someone who researched the subject seriously and came out with a kosher shaver, and he can be reached at:
0573124340 (+972573124340)

Michael

More
13 Jan 2011 00:48 #1886 by rallisw
Replied by rallisw on topic Shaving the beard
The Chasam Sofer writes that he does not understand the big commotion that is made against those who cut off their beards (i.e. in a permitted fashion). He writes that nowadays we have no connection to that which was forbidden according to kabbalah, and we need not be concerned for anything but the basic halacha, and that which is openly expounded upon by Chazal. Additionally, he writes that it is reported that the Remah MeFano, who lived in Italy and was one of the greatest mekubalim, removed his beard entirely. All the Jews from Italy who have removed their beards rely upon this.
עי' שו"ת חת"ס או"ח סי' קנ"ט שאשר הרעיש שם נגד מגלחי זקן לא ידעתי מה הרעש הגדול הזה, ועי"ש שאין לנו עסק בנסתרות, ועי"ש שבארץ איטליא תולים באילן הגדול הרמ"ע שהוא היה מגולח מבלי השאיר שערה אחת, עי"ש. ועי' בשו"ת באר עשק סי' ע' (מצוין בגליון המהרש"א שם) שדרש וחקר על מנהג הרמ"ע ז"ל והגידו לו שהיה מסתפר בדיקניה כמנהג מדינת איטליא, ועי"ש שאף תלמידי האריז"ל היה מגלח זקנם, (אכן עי' דרכי תשובה ביו"ד סי' קפ"א שהביא כמה פוסקים שכתב הכחשה לעדות בענין הרמ"ע מפענו, עי"ש). ועי' אג"מ או"ח ח"ד סי' קי"א שכל חכמי הצפרתים והאשכנזים הראשונים לא חששו לזה (דעל פי קבלה הוא אסור), ועי"ש שהביא ראיה ממס' כריתות דף ה: ומרש"י שם שאף אהרן הכהן היה מסתפר זקנו קצת, ועי' של"ה שערי אותיות קב. בענין זה. ואולי יש הוכחה מצוואת ר"י החסיד צוואה מא' שכתב שלא לגלח הראש "והזקן" בראש חודש, משמע שבשאר ימות השנה אין כאן חשש, וכל הדברים שמצוים שם מוסכם ע"פ קבלה

Rallis

Minhag Avoseinu Torah Hee!

More
13 Jan 2011 00:52 #1887 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Shaving the beard
As Rallis mentioned, this applies only to shaving the beard in a permitted way (and the quotes brought come to explain that there is no problem to cut and to shorten almost completely the beard), but this doesn't discuss the question which shavers are permitted and which aren't.

Michael