Tallis for the Chazzan

More
05 Oct 2009 15:37 #1441 by Daniel
Tallis for the Chazzan was created by Daniel
In the shul that I daven in, people only wear a tallis at maariv if they do not have on a jacket. I davened for the amud a few times (with a jacket) and put on a tallis. I can see that this may have bothered some people by their reaction ('you're going against our minhag'). My response was, well, if I take off my jacket I can wear the tallis, so now that I have on a jacket I can't? What's a little extra kavod hatzibbur?

1. Is it wrong to put on the tallis? 2. Is it against minhag hamakom to do so (the Rav did not seem to have a problem with it...)?

Daniel

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2009 23:50 #1445 by Litvak
Replied by Litvak on topic Tallis for the Chazzan
It seems to me that the people in the Shul do not understand the matter and what they think is 'their minhag' is really a 'minhag taus' (defective/mistaken custom), based on their lack of knowledge. Such a 'custom' does not have the same standing as a legitimate minhag, with solid foundation.

Also, the fact that the Rav didn't object is significant. Evidently he knows something that some of the congregants don't.

Litvak

More
06 Oct 2009 00:28 #1446 by SBS
Replied by SBS on topic Tallis for the Chazzan
While each of you may be technically correct, such matters in my opinion must be addressed very carefully. People can take such actions as an insult and that there is no regard for what has been an established minhag in the greater context (even in instances where they are correct). This creates machlokes, division and an overall bad atmosphere - the exact opposite of what is intended. We have to understand that many people just don't know what the halochos and procedures are, but they must be treated with respect in helping them understand. I for one feel that this is an area where in general we as a people have much work to do.

Steven

More
13 Nov 2009 16:19 #1488 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Tallis for the Chazzan
Minhag Ashkenaz definitely is to wear a Tallis and a Jacket, and in a shul without any specific Hakpodos - that is the way one should Daven in front of the Omud.
In the shul you mentioned, since there is a local Rov one should ask the Rov, and do his Psak.
If the Rov holds that you should not put on a Tallis and a Jacket, and the question is what is better to wear as a Shliach Tzibbur - a Tallis or a Jacket, so it is better to put on a Tallis only, which covers oneself fully, and makes him look more like a Shliach Tzibbur.

Michael FRBSH