9 B'Av Seudah Hamafsekes

More
23 Jul 2009 13:17 #1148 by Daniel
9 B'Av Seudah Hamafsekes was created by Daniel
What are Minhagim of the Seudah Hamafsekes?

Daniel

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
26 Jul 2009 02:56 #1152 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic 9 B'Av Seudah Hamafsekes
The Minhag is to eat bread and an egg with ashes. Everyone sits on his own on the floor or on a low seat.
R' Yozfa Shamesh says that there is a Minhag to eat also a live clove of garlic, but this Minhag has not been practiced in the last generations.
Some say in the Seudoh Mafsekes "בעוונותינו כך וכך שנים לחורבן", but also this Minhag is not very common.

Michael FRBSH

More
03 Aug 2009 01:06 #1169 by Altgold
Replied by Altgold on topic 9 B'Av Seudah Hamafsekes

Michael wrote: R' Yozfa Shamesh says that there is a Minhag to eat also a live clove of garlic, but this Minhag has not been practiced in the last generations.

Interesting. What was the reason for eating a fresh clove of garlic when that custom was practiced?

Brian

More
04 Aug 2009 01:09 #1175 by MPerlman
Replied by MPerlman on topic 9 B'Av Seudah Hamafsekes
Michael wrote: R' Yozfa Shamesh says that there is a Minhag to eat also a live clove of garlic.

Brian asked: Why?

I ask: Where in Yosef Ometz does he say that? I looked at דיני ערב תשעה באב from סימן תתעב until סימן תתצה, but I did not find it.

MPerlman

More
07 Aug 2009 18:32 #1226 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic 9 B'Av Seudah Hamafsekes
R' Yozfa Shamesh (siman קכב) says that one eats a live clove of garlic, or hangs a clove of garlic on his neck (for example babies who can't eat garlic).
Some explain that this is because garlic "מבריח החיצוניים" (sends away the Tumo'oh), and for that reason garlic was put in cemeteries too. In the other days of the year we keep the Tumo'oh away by Divrei Torah and Tefilloh, but in the Seudoh Mafsekes no Torah or Tefillo is said.

Michael FRBSH