L'Dovid Boruch

More
29 Apr 2010 04:46 #1725 by SBS
L'Dovid Boruch was created by SBS
Why is it that L' Dovid Baruch is generally found only to be said and sung in those ashkenaz kehillos that follow the german nusach? It is said to have been one of the oldest melodies and one would think that it would have been preserved. It seems throughout ashkenaz excluding Germany that it isn't said.

Steven

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
09 May 2010 13:42 #1731 by Litvak
Replied by Litvak on topic L'Dovid Boruch
It was/is said/sung in non-Yekke Shuls/Kehillos as well.

I recall a non-Yekke Ashkenaz Shul in NY where it was sung until about twenty five years ago. I recall a Litvishe man, Mr. Jacob Olshin z"l, who sang it. The Shul had a Litvishe Rav too, and few, if any Yekkes.

I can think of at least two non-Yekke Shuls in NY now where it is still sung (one I am 100% sure of, the other I think so, but haven't seen it myself). In one of them a Yekke is a main force behind it, but the Shul is not a Yekke Shul. The other Shul is an Oberlander type Shul.

Litvak

More
11 May 2010 01:54 #1734 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic L'Dovid Boruch
Ledovid Boruch was the Minhag of all the Kehillos, and can be still found in the old Yerushalmi (Ashkenazi) Kehillos, and in the Sephardic Kehillos.
The Mishno Beruroh says it is a nice Minhag (so the Litvaks officially should be following this Minhag too). The Minhag was stopped (where it was stopped) by the Chassidim.
See more in Shorshei Minhag Ashkenaz volume one.

Michael FRBSH

More
06 Jun 2010 02:28 #1763 by SBS
Replied by SBS on topic L'Dovid Boruch
In most siddurim there is another Kapital tehillim between the 2 that are sung on Motzei Shabbos? Is the german minhag not to say/sing it? If so, why isn't it said yet printed?

Steven

More
28 Jun 2010 02:37 #1783 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic L'Dovid Boruch
In Siddur Otzar Hatefilos, Kapital 29 (Hovu Lashem Bnei Elim) is brought between Ledovid Boruch and Lamnatzeach. The only place in Ashkenaz that we find people saying this was in Copenhagen, at Machzikei Hadas, where they say it silently.
We do find in many places (Amsterdam, England, Sweden, and some people in Darmstadt) that after Lamnatzeach the Posuk Ezri Meim Hashem was said. In Germany this was not common.

Michael FRBSH