Tallis Katan and Slichos

More
10 Sep 2013 21:53 #2264 by Daniel
Tallis Katan and Slichos was created by Daniel
We know that slichos in Germany was usually said very early; before the time that one could make a bracha on a tallis. This is why German Jews put their tallis on by baruch she'omar - before baruch she'omar it was too early (See R' Schwab on Prayer). As far as I know, the German custom is that the congregation does not wear a tallis for slichos - only the Sha"tz. Today, when most say slichos at a later time, should one make a bracha on the tallis katan when putting it on in the morning? Personally, from the time that I put on my tallis katan until I put on my tallis gadol (during slichos), can be a solid hour. According to the MB one must put on the tallis gadol within a 'short time period' to have the bracha effect the tallis kattan, or else make a separate bracha on the Tallis katan. Hence the question; should one recite the bracha on the Tallis katan?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
13 Sep 2013 00:07 #2265 by Melech
Replied by Melech on topic Tallis Katan and Slichos
I'm pretty sure that according to Minhag Ashkenaz one recites a bracha when he puts on his talleis koton in the morning even if only a short time will elapse before he puts on his talleis godol.

Melech

More
13 Sep 2013 00:27 - 13 Sep 2013 00:28 #2267 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Tallis Katan and Slichos
According to Minhag Ashkenaz one does not say the Borcho on the Tallis Koton at all if he wears a Tallis Godol. The source in which you can see this is the Maharil, who mentions that only someone who doesn't have a Tallis Godol says a Brocho on the Tallis Koton (which he put on in the morning, and didn't make a Brocho on then because his hands are usually unclean). And those who don't have a Tallis Godol say the Borcho on the Tallis Koton also befoer Boruch Sheomar.

FRBSH

I would like to add, that this question doesn't apply only on Selichos days according to the modern Minhag, but applies also to every day when people Davened Shacharis in Shul late on Shabbos etc. and put the Tallis Koton on when thet woke up in the morning.

Michael

More
13 Sep 2013 00:54 #2268 by Melech
Replied by Melech on topic Tallis Katan and Slichos
Please clarify: The Maharil didn't make the bracha on the talleis koton because his hands weren't clean, or because he was putting on a talleis godol later?

Melech

More
13 Sep 2013 02:51 #2269 by Daniel
Replied by Daniel on topic Tallis Katan and Slichos
Just to clarify - no matter how long it will be in between putting on the tallis kattan to the tallis gadol, one should not say a bracha on the tallis katan. Is my understanding correct?

More
13 Sep 2013 04:23 #2271 by Michael

Melech wrote: Please clarify: The Maharil didn't make the bracha on the talleis koton because his hands weren't clean, or because he was putting on a talleis godol later?

My understanding is that since the Tallis Koton does not get the Brocho when it was put on, because usually the hands are not clean then, it waits to get the Brocho with the Tallis Godol.

Michael

More
13 Sep 2013 04:27 #2272 by Michael

Daniel wrote: Just to clarify - no matter how long it will be in between putting on the tallis kattan to the tallis gadol, one should not say a bracha on the tallis katan. Is my understanding correct?

That is what comes out.
BTW - where is the Mishna Brurah you mentioned? I asked once Rav Neuvirt ZTL about a case of wearing a Tallis Koton in the morning and wearing another one in the afternoon, if it is OK to say the Brocho in the afternoon on both together, and he told me it is fine. And I would be surprised if this is against the Mishna Brurah.

Michael

More
16 Sep 2013 07:26 #2273 by Daniel
Replied by Daniel on topic Tallis Katan and Slichos
I looked through the MB and could not find it. I asked other people, and they also quoted the same in the name of the MB. I actually found one or two pieces that seemed to imply the opposite. For the moment, I will say that I will keep looking - at least there is an idea out there that the MB says this...and I should be more careful to have the source in front of me if I quote it. I was also advised to look at the Debriciner Rav and Rav Moshe Shternbuch about the half hour, but as of now I did not. If anyone does, please post what it says...