Point at the sefer Torah while saying V'zous Hatorah ?

More
03 Dec 2008 04:31 #729 by SBS
Some people point at the sefer Torah during hagbohas haTorah, usually done with the pinky. Is this the true minhag, and, if so, then why with the pinky? I could understand using the Etzbah "pointer" finger, as in Etzbah Elokim. I have been unable to find any sources that address this.

Steven

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Dec 2008 01:55 #732 by Michael
Minhag Ashkenaz is to bow when the Seifer Torah is turned towards you. The minhog to point with the pinkie is a Turkish (Sephardic) minhag, and is brought in Me'am Lo'ez and by R' Chayim Palagi. Moroccan Jews do it as well.

Michael FRBSH

More
05 Dec 2008 02:16 #736 by SBS
So minhag ashkenaz is not to point but rather to bow? It seems the minhag to point is widely accepted even amongst B'nei Ashkenaz. Do we know the reason for the pinky?

Steven

More
05 Dec 2008 02:20 #737 by Michael
Rav Chesner mentions that today the wide spread minhag is to point with the pinky, and he says he doesn't know what is the source to this.
It would seem that it came to Eretz Yisroel through the Sephardim (the Yerushalmi Sephardim followed very much the Turkish Minhag, since Eretz Yisro'el was ruled by the Turks for 400 years), and it then spread out between (some) Ashkenazim too.

Michael FRBSH

More
05 Dec 2008 02:36 #738 by SBS
Is it done in KAYJ as well?

Steven

More
05 Dec 2008 02:39 #739 by Michael
The subject was discussed once in shul, and the conclusion then was that this is not Minhag Ashkenaz. I never looked carefully at what most of the congregation does, but I don't think people point with their pinkie at the Seifer Toroh.

Michael

More
05 Dec 2008 06:52 - 30 Oct 2012 14:34 #742 by Litvak
There was a discussion about this a while ago in the USA 'Yated Ne'eman' newspaper. My recollection is that a chaveir (R. Yisroel) from KAJ Washington Heights wrote in a letter in the newspaper then that no one does it there. So it definitely is not done by all.

I think that this is a good example of how a custom can spread. Something comes along, it seems innocuous, maybe even nice and and meritorious. But we should think to ourselves, did our ancestors do it? And if they didn't, perhaps they abstained for good reason.

Additionally, it seems that doing it would compete with the minhag to bow, which, as stated above, was the minhag Ashkenaz from previous days. There is only a short time when the sefer Torah is being lifted and shown to the tzibbur and people have limited attention spans and capacity. If you give them a new minhag, it can sometimes displace an old one. Of the two, it seems to me that the bowing minhog is much more respectful to the (sefer) Torah. So I think the choice is clear.

כנלע"ד

Litvak

More
05 Dec 2008 12:22 - 30 Oct 2012 14:28 #743 by Litvak
1) Can you elaborate on the minhag Ashkenaz to bow during hagbohas haTorah when the sefer Torah faces you ?

a) Where is this minhog recorded ?

b) What kind of bowing is meant? Just a small bowing of the head/upper body (as some do during Oleinu), or more?

2) A Rav Chesner was mentioned earlier. Who is he? Mechaber of a sefer?

Litvak

More
07 Dec 2008 14:44 - 30 Oct 2012 14:32 #745 by Daniel
I believe that bowing towards the Torah during Hagbah is an explicit Tosefta (Soferim 14:14). The text basically reads as follows: …open the Torah to three columns, lift it up and show the text to the congregation standing to the right, the left, in front and behind, since it is a mitzvah for all men and women to see the text, to bow (לכרוע) and to recite "V’zos hatorah asher sum Moshe lifnei b’nei Yisroel, Toras Hashem Temimah meshivas nafesh…" (It’s interesting that the Tosefta mentions “Toras Hashem Temimah meshivas nafesh” which is not our Minhag but rather the Gabbai says it when he calls up the Kohen).

Daniel

More
08 Dec 2008 19:33 - 30 Oct 2012 14:33 #751 by Michael
The minhag to bow is mentioned in the Shulchan Oruch (או"ח קל"ד סעיף ב), and this means bowing with the head and top of the body.
[I heard today an interesting idea (but can't take any responsibility for it) - I didn't see R' Chaim Palagi in his sefer, but I was told that he talks about pointing with the Etzba "pointer" finger, and that someone who did a bit of research on the subject claimed that the reason people used their pinkie instead, was because their Etzba and thumb usually had tobacco on them .]

Harav Chesner is an important Posek in the town of Ofakim.

Michael