Nittel Nacht minhogim

More
27 Dec 2009 14:21 #1554 by Daniel
Nittel Nacht minhogim was created by Daniel
Do Yekkes have anything to do with Nittel Nacht minhogim observed by some others, esp. Hassidim? I saw a packet about it, and surprisingly (to me), many of the sources were of Ashkenaz/German origin. R' Issac Tirna (Oberlander) says that Aleinu is recited aloud that night. The Chasam Sofer says that the Jews of Hungary would go to sleep early, wake up at midnight and learn the rest of the night. What, if anything, was done in Germany?

Daniel

Please Log in to join the conversation.

28 Dec 2009 14:29 #1555 by
Replied by on topic Nittel Nacht minhogim
The "minhag" I'm familiar with is the playing of cards on Nittelnacht and "New Year's" night, in order to be awake if the non-Jewish neighbours of the time decided to pay a visit. (Obviously Torah study would not be appropriate, as one would get too absorbed in it.)

Aryeh

More
31 Dec 2009 00:13 #1562 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Nittel Nacht minhogim
I asked Rav Hamburger and he told me that the Nittel is a Minhag that started by the Yekkies, and later was adopted by the Chassiddim.

Click on this link for a letter Rav Hamburger wrote many years ago to Moriah on this issue.

Michael

More
31 Dec 2009 04:02 #1563 by DDelaney
Replied by DDelaney on topic Nittel Nacht minhogim
It was always my understanding that some German kehillos abstained from learning Torah on the night of Dec 24 until midnight, while others did not have this custom.
Also, a difference between the German minhag and the Chasidish one is that Germans WILL learn if the night of Dec 24 is Friday or Saturday while Chasidim are not universal about this.

David

More
31 Dec 2009 14:23 #1565 by Melech
Replied by Melech on topic Nittel Nacht minhogim
My father remembers a Friday night where Rav Breuer cancelled a regular shiur because of nittel.

Melech

More
03 Jan 2010 01:11 #1572 by meirk
Replied by meirk on topic Nittel Nacht minhogim
The chasidim say that we don't study on this night so that we don't give strength to the Klipos. But, in the article of Rav Hamburger, he says that the reason is aveilus. Why this aveilus? Because many Yidden died because of אותו האיש, or because of pogroms on that night?

Thanks.

Meir

Meir Koschland

More
07 Jan 2010 14:33 #1578 by Michael
The Chasam Sofer brings from Rav Nosson Adler that the reason is aveilus, but the Chasam Sofer himself in the Teshuvoh goes on to disagree with his Rebbe (R. Adler), and says the reason not to learn in the beginning of this night is as follows:

Since the goyim go at midnight to their ceremonies, this could cause קטרוג on Klal Yisroel, ch"v, since they are going to their worshiping in the middle of the night, and we are sleeping. Therefore there should have been a takono that one should learn at midnight, in order that there won't be קטרוג. But the Rabonim did not want to make a takono to learn then, since it could seem that we are copying the goyyim's custom, therefore the takono was not to learn until midnight, which would cause the Talmidei Chachomim to go to sleep at the beginning of the night, and then start learning at midnight.

Michael FRBSH

Beneath is the Teshuvoh in Hebrew from the Chasam Sofer:

הנראה לי, אפשר נהגו קדמונינו כן משום שלא ליתן מקום לבע"ד לחלוק ולשטן לקטרג, בהיות באותה הלילה כל העמים נועדים בבית אלהיהם מחצות ואילך כידוע, ועם ה' אלו ישנים על מטותיהם, אפילו לומדי תורה רובם ככולם נעורים תחילת הלילה וישנים אחר חצות, ולא רצו לגזור שיהיו כל ישראל עומדים השכם מחצות ואילך באותה הלילה כאלו אנו נגררים אחר חוקותיהם, וגדולה מזה נהגו לאכול באשמורת ערב ראש השנה שלא יחקו את המינים [שו"ע או"ח סי' תקפ"א ס"ב], מכ"ש שאין לגזור נדידות השינה בעת ההיא, ע"כ בהשכל מנעו הלימוד קודם חצות לגמרי, וממילא כל תלמיד חכם ישן תחילת הלילה ויקום אחר חצות, ומכ"ש בעלי משא ומתן הקובעים עתים לתורה בכל יום מסתמא בתחילת הלילה ואותה הלילה נמנעים מפני המנהג, ע"כ יעמדו אחר חצות לשלם חובתם דבר יום ביומו, וממילא יהיו כמה וכמה עוסקים בעבודת ה' אלו מפה ואלו מפה וחמת המלך שככה, וטעם זה הגון בעיני

Michael

More
07 Jan 2010 14:53 #1580 by Michael
I just saw an interesting article about Nittel, at the following link . There is over there an explanation for the aveilus too.

Michael

More
18 Jan 2010 03:21 #1588 by Daniel
Replied by Daniel on topic Nittel Nacht minhogim
How is nittel observed in KAYJ?

Daniel

More
26 Jan 2010 14:22 #1593 by Michael
In KAYJ we do not do anything different on Nittel nacht, since BH we do not live next to beis tifla of notzrim, etc.

Michael