Shir Hamaalos - Origination of the Melody

More
11 Dec 2008 00:48 #757 by SBS
Is it known how old the standard (German) tune used for Shir Hamaalos used on Shabbos is and who may have composed it? This is the same tune used in the Y'chadeshayhu for M'vorchim Hachodesh.

Steven

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2008 05:19 - 13 Dec 2021 19:25 #775 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Shir Hamaalos - Origination of the Melody
I asked Rav Hamburger if he knew the source of this melody, but he didn't know its source.
Mr. Walter Schnerb of Washington Heights mentions this to be a שמיני עצרת melody for the Duchaning of Shacharis, (in his Shir hamalos cassette)!

Michael

More
16 Dec 2008 02:02 #779 by SBS
Interesting. I don't doubt that it was used for duchaning on the ocassion you mention however the tune doesn't quite seem to fit the character of duchaning.

As a suggestion: It would be nice to have listed (where known) on the Nusach Project site, the origin of the melodies posted along with the year and additional other appropriate information.I know the composer is sometimes listed as well.

Steven

More
21 Dec 2008 03:39 - 13 Dec 2021 19:26 #790 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Shir Hamaalos - Origination of the Melody
Thinking a bit more about this issue, it is quite interesting to notice that the melody of the Piyyut "מעשה אלוקינו", is done by Benno Weiss in the melody of Mechalkel Chayim (Yevorechecho #3 in Schire Jeschurun , page 103) and then in the melody of the Shir Hama'alos. In addition - Mechalkel Chayim in Ne'iloh is done by Benno Weiss also in the Shir Hama'los melody. Maybe this melody was originally a Yomim Noroim melody, and therefore it was used for Shmini Atzeres as well, and later on it got spread out around the year too. This is an interesting point to investigate.

Michael