Changing one's nusach of tefilloh

More
09 Dec 2008 03:09 #752 by SBS
My understanding is that those who daven Nusach Sefard (Eastern European nusach, not the Sephardi one) maintain that one is not allowed to switch from it to Nusach Ashkenaz, as nusach Sefard is a more "enhanced nusach". However they maintain that one can switch from Nusach Ashkenaz to Nusach Sefard.

This seems illogical. I would expect the opposite to be true, in that Nusach Ashkenaz is a more correct and older nusach than Nusach Sefard and Nusach Sefard is based on Nusach Ashkenaz. What information is available on this and what is the rule regarding changing the nusach one davens?

Steven

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Dec 2008 01:13 #756 by ynathan
Replied by ynathan on topic Changing one's nusach of tefilloh
The Shulchan Hatahor (Komarna) discusses this topic. I don't have the Sefer in front of me at present, thus I cant tell you where to look.

Yehuda Nathan

More
14 Dec 2008 02:39 #765 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Changing one's nusach of tefilloh
This subject is discussed at length in the new and enlarged sefer גדולי הדורות על משמר מנהג אשכנז, which will be coming out IY"H when the funding will be sufficient.

In short - the Ashkenaz Rabbonim hold that one should not change from Nusach Ashkenaz to Nusach Sepharad, but that one may change from Nusach Sepharad to Nusach Ashkenaz, since the latter was his original ancestral nusach. On the other hand, many of the Chassidim hold as you mentioned, that one is allowed to change from Ashkenaz to Sepharad and should not do the opposite. But even some of the Chassidishe Poskim held that one should not change to Sepharad, and that the Ashkenaz nusach should be used, as seen in the writings of the Rebbe of טשכנוב. Also, the Komarna Rebbe and the Rav of Buczacz looked at it differently than the other Gedolei haChassidus.

Michael FRBSH