Aleinu on Yom Kippur

More
10 Oct 2008 14:24 #654 by TsviRogin
Aleinu on Yom Kippur was created by TsviRogin
We (Zilberman minyan in the Old City of Jerusalem) davened Vasikin this morning (Yom Kippur) with no piyyutim (GR"A orientation minyan) and finished musaph at around 9:15.

I maintained that one should say Aleinu as one does after every tephilloh. The opposition pointed out that it is not in the Machzor. I said that the expectation was that one would be in shul davening all day with no breaks, and just like we don't say Aleinu between musaph and shacharis (or vice versa), one wouldn't say between musaph and mincha if there were no break, but if there is a break, then one should say.

In this same vein, in Rav Breslauer's (z"l) shul in Washington Heights, when mincha and ma'ariv were said together, there was no Aleinu in between.

Is there a specific minhag regarding Aleinu on Yom Kippur?

Tsvi Rogin

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2008 01:30 #658 by Melech
Replied by Melech on topic Aleinu on Yom Kippur
The Gra actually held to say all the piyyutim on the yomim noroim, i.e. both those of the birchos krias shma and those of shmone esreh, as can be seen implicitly from the ma'aseh rav and explicitly stated in Sh'eilos Usshovos Meishiv Dovor (written by the Netziv). The only change he advocated was to move the ofan of Yom Kippur to CHazaras Hashatz before "l'yoshev t'hillos".

Melech

More
13 Oct 2008 00:39 #663 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Aleinu on Yom Kippur
Oleinu is said when one leaves Shul. For that reason there is no Oleinu between Shacharis and Musaf, and in Shuls following Minhag Ashkenaz - also no Oleinu between Mincho and Mariv when they are together. Since one stays in Shul all day on Yom Kippur - there is no Oleinu on Yom Kippur too. As you mentioned - one who goes home in the middle should say Oleinu.

Michael

P.S. The reason Oleinu is printed in a Bris and in Birkas Halevono is also because one says Oleinu once - when he leaves Shul, and the Bris (and Birkas Halevono Leminhag Polin) was done before Oleinu, therefore one said Oleinu afterwards.