Japhet & Lewandowski

More
17 Aug 2008 09:06 #529 by meirk
Japhet & Lewandowski was created by meirk
Shalom!

I want to know more about I.M. Japhet. I didn't find in the internet anything about him. What's was his name? (I.M.) Was he `the Rav Hirsch's compositor? Which nigunim did he compose? (Shir Hamalaus, Sholom Rav...What more?)

And why do people say that Lewandowski was a reformer?

Thanks!
Meir

Meir Koschland

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2008 09:30 #531 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Japhet & Lewandowski
IM Japhet's full name was Israel Meir Japhet. He wrote a whole book of compositions called Schire Jeschurun, which got Rav Hirsch's haskomo (I think that's the only music book with an haskomo). Shir Hamalous for Moutzoei Shabbos was composed because of Rav Hirsch's request (everyone was hurrying to work in the steel factory next to the shul, and Rav Hirsch wanted them to stay calmly until the end).
There are many well known melodies in that book, some which are on the site. I'll name a few of them:
Lecho Doudi (around 10 melodies), some melodies for Mizmor Shir Leyoum Hashabbos and Tzadik Katomor, Yiigdal (Yom tov and Yomim Nouroim), Houtzo'oh and Hochnoso (Shabbos, Yom tov and yomim nouroim), Ein Keloukeinu (Yomim norouim) and many more.

Michael

P.S. Since I'm in the US now, I don't have the book in front of me (and I don't have Rav Hamburger available), but if you'd like more data I'll be happy to add it in about 2 weeks BLN).

More
21 Aug 2008 10:13 #534 by meirk
Replied by meirk on topic Japhet & Lewandowski
Ok, I will wait for it.
For the time being, thanks a lot.

And what about Lewandowski?

Thanks!
Meir

Meir Koschland

More
21 Aug 2008 23:11 #538 by ynathan
Replied by ynathan on topic Japhet & Lewandowski
Is there any chance of posting their music books - such as the Schire Jeschurun mentioned - on the site? You already have Der Frankfurter Chazzan on the Hebrew side.

Yehuda Nathan

More
22 Aug 2008 23:40 #541 by Michael
That could be a good idea, as long as the books don't have copyrights. I have a few e-copies of sheet music, including Lewandowski, but I don't have Japhet as an e-copy.

Michael

P.S. I would not like to write about Lewandowski yet, until I'm back in Jerusalem.

More
02 Sep 2008 18:08 #557 by Michael
Lewandowski was the conductor of the choir in the Reform temple of Berlin. R' Shimon Schwab ZTL was once asked, why do we use his melodies, and he answered with a question - do you have something better?

We do not know how he lived his private life, but he had many Orthodox students, and his brothers were Cantors in Orthodox Shuls. When he passed away R' Azriel Hildesheimer ZTL gave a Hesped about him.

As far as all that has to do with the nusach of the Teffiloh, Lewandowski did not compose new melodies, he just beautified the original melodies. That is what he writes in his introduction, and there are many proofs to it.

Michael FRBSH

P.S. In Yerushaseinu #3, which will come out IYH in the near future, there will be an article about IM Japhet.

More
27 Nov 2008 03:20 #722 by SBS
Replied by SBS on topic Japhet & Lewandowski
If Lewandowski only beautified existing music, then do we know who was the composer of that which he enhanced?

Steven

More
28 Nov 2008 04:07 #724 by Michael
Lewandowski only beautified the original melodies. This statement applies to the nusach of the tefilloh, which includes anything that would be considered "Niggun Yodu'a". The melody was passed on for many generations (without any known composer), and Lewandowski did not try to write a new melody for the nusach, only to beautify the existing melody.

Of course. with regard to the melodies which are considered "Niggun Nivchor", for example Lecho Doudi, tzaddik Katomor, etc., the Lewandowski melodies are his own compositions.

Michael

More
11 Aug 2009 01:30 - 06 Jul 2012 16:44 #1252 by MPerlman
Replied by MPerlman on topic Japhet & Lewandowski

Michael wrote: Lewandowski was the conductor of the choir in the Reform temple of Berlin. R' Shimon Schwab ZTL was once asked, why do we use his melodies, and he answered with a question - do you have something better?

This reply of Rav Schwab zt"l was only about the melody to Mah Tovu. Thus, unless we find better, there is a haskama on singing Mah Tovu to that melody, although there is no haskama to his melodies or even to that melody. It is only because we have nothing else.

Michael wrote: We do not know how he lived his private life, but he had many Orthodox students, and his brothers were Cantors in Orthodox Shuls.

In Yerushaseinu #3 (p. 258), Rabbi Prof. Mordechai Breuer was quoted as writing that Lewandowski was not m'dakdeik b'mitzvos.

Michael wrote: When he passed away R' Azriel Hildesheimer ZTL gave a Hesped about him.

I'd like to learn more about this. However, in any case, the fact that Rav Hildesheimer gave a Hesped about someone, without hearing what he actually said about him, even if they were moving words, is insufficient cause for considering the departed a meritorious individual. My grandmother's great-grandfather, Rav Shlomo Carlebach zt"l of Leubeck, eulogized Baron von Bleichroder, banker to Emperor Wilhelm II, though a Jew, had little interest in things Jewish.

MPerlman

More
12 Aug 2009 17:33 #1279 by Michael
Rav schwab was talking about Lewandowsky's melodies in general. As mentioned, we do not know how Lewandowsky lived his private life, but he had many Orthodox students, and all of his family was Orthodox. It would be very interesting to learn more about this, and to know Prof. Breuer's sources.
R' Azriel gave a Hesped about him, and in his shul Lewandowsky's melodies were sung. In general in Germany all the most Frum shuls used his melodies, and this was accepted by all of the Rabbonim in Germany.

If someone would like, as a Chumro, not to sing Lewandowsky - he is not following Rabbonei Ashkenaz. Rabbonei Ashkenaz accepted his melodies. A shul that doesn't go according to the Hachro'os of Rabbonei Ashkenaz, (Es Asher Hikalto Hechmarti), is not an Ashkenaz shul but an Eigene shul, where everyone does what he feels like.

Michael FRBSH

More
16 Aug 2009 04:07 #1328 by Michael
I just posted Schire Jeschurun on our site.
Please click here to download it (6MB).

Michael

More
09 Apr 2013 17:59 - 02 Dec 2013 15:42 #2240 by Michael

Michael wrote: I just posted Schire Jeschurun on our site.
Please click here to download it (6MB).

Michael

Since the link doesn't work any more, I'm attaching it to this post.

Michael
Attachments: