Oleinu - "Shehem Mishtachavim" etc.

More
29 Jun 2008 13:15 #413 by meirk
In the Roedelheim, in Oleinu, there isn't "shehem mishtachavim lehevel velorik". Are these words censored? Or is minhag aschkenaz not to say this?
Thanks!

Meir

Meir Koschland

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Jun 2008 01:19 #415 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Oleinu - "Shehem Mishtachavim" etc.
As you assumed, these words were censored. We have evidence that in Ashkenaz these words were said as long as they were remembered.

Michael FRBSH

More
30 Jun 2008 01:20 #416 by Michael
I would like to add, that in Divrei Kehillos pg 168, when talking about Oleinu Leshabe'ach of Rosh Hashono (Musaf), he mentions that the tzibbur says quietly Shehem untill Lo Youshia. So it is clear that this minhag was still kept in his days (year 5579). It is also quite clear from the way Oleinu is mentioned to be said in Divrei Kehillos (until after kechol Hamounom quietly, and then loud again from Shehoo Nouteh Shomayim) that these words were said too and therefore purposely everything was said quietly. And this was of saying Oleinu can be still heard in Chazzan Weis's cassettes.

Michael

More
01 Jul 2008 04:07 #419 by ynathan
Replied by ynathan on topic Oleinu - "Shehem Mishtachavim" etc.
In the Siddur Hamekubal Horav Hirtz (Thuhingen, 5320) it is mentioned. I'm quoting from memory "as these words describe the worst of all the Klipos (I don't remember the exact wording), it is to be said without a voice (which I imagine means either a whisper or just in the mind without verbalizing).

Yehuda Nathan

More
01 Jul 2008 13:27 #423 by meirk
Replied by meirk on topic Oleinu - "Shehem Mishtachavim" etc.
Thanks for the answers!
And can we say the same about "shelau ossani nochri"? Is it supposed to be "nochri" or "goi".
Is there a sidur yeke meduyak with these corrections? (as "shehem mishtachavim...")
Thanks!

Meir

Meir Koschland

More
04 Jul 2008 03:40 #427 by Michael
The old Minhag is Shelou Osani Goi. This minhag was kept in Frankfurt until today, therefore in Washington Heights and in KAYJ this is the nusach said.
The Censors were not happy with Goi, so they changed it to Shelou Osani Yishmoel or Akum or Kusi (or She'osani Yisro'el). Shelou Osani Nochri came as a compromise.

Michael FRBSH

p.s. Machon Moreshes Ashkenaz (MMA) is working on a new Siddur, without the censors changes.

More
07 Oct 2008 17:24 #650 by LKassel
Replied by LKassel on topic Oleinu - "Shehem Mishtachavim" etc.
It was said that Minhag Ashkenaz is to said the uncensored version of Oleinu.

My understanding of the closing of the Ark during recitation of Oleinu in Mussaf of Roch Hashana is that it reflects the dismay of the Jews that they were forced to change the text of their prayer. I heard in the same vein that in some places the Rabbi would spit at this very moment.

Nowadays we do not fear the censors and Rabbi Hamburger wrote to both say the uncensored version and close the Ark. What signification to the closing of the Ark are we giving then?

Gmar Hatima Tova

Laurent Kassel

More
08 Oct 2008 03:22 #652 by Michael
The reason we close the ark is because we do not want to mention the idols of the Goyyim next to the Aron Kodesh. This applies mostly to Shehem Mishtachavim Lohevel Vorik.

Michael FRBSH

More
13 Aug 2009 01:03 #1297 by MPerlman
Replied by MPerlman on topic Oleinu - "Shehem Mishtachavim" etc.

Michael wrote: The Censors were not happy with Goi, so they changed it to Shelou Osani Yishmoel or Akum or Kusi (or She'osani Yisro'el). Shelou Osani Nochri came as a compromise.

The censors were sometimes knowledgeable about the words they were changing and sometimes complete imbeciles. In some Siddurim the censor changed the words "Goi Echad Ba'aretz" in Mincha for Shabbos to "Nochri Echad Ba'aretz".

MPerlman