Piyutim

More
16 Sep 2013 19:33 #2275 by Daniel
Piyutim was created by Daniel
This YK I davened at KAJ-WH. I had difficulty figuring out when the tzibur should ONLY respond to the chazzan during the piyutim and when the tzibur should recite the entire piyut. Some clarification on this would be helpful. For example, during birchos krias shema we say baruch shaim as a refrain. I ended up reciting the entire piyut as I was no where near the chazzan when he got to that point. However, should I have been up to the chazzan, would it not make sense to recite the entire thing as it is in birchas krias shema? To take another extreme, when the piyut of marreh kohen is recited, it seemed obvious to me that the tzibur should only respond. Another point, if the chazzan is going too fast to say the entire piyut, what should one do? This can happen in birchas krias shema and during the long extended kedusha.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2013 02:34 #2283 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Piyutim
Rav Hamburger told me that any Piyut which is not said loudly by the Chazzan one should say on his own, and if the Chazzan says it out loud you may rely on his saying (but even in this case it is better to say by yourself).
Another point Rav Hamburger said, is that it is better to say the Piyyutim in a language one understands than not to say them at all or than saying them and not understanding them at all.

More
01 Oct 2013 03:02 #2285 by Daniel
Replied by Daniel on topic Piyutim
Would such advice apply even to piyutim said during krias Shema?? I would assume that if one has a basic general idea what the piyut means, even if one does not know all the specifics, that it would be better to say it in Hebrew. True?

More
01 Oct 2013 03:13 #2286 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Piyutim
Yes. I understand the point is only that if people have no idea what is going on, it is better they understand what they are saying than say the words in Hebrew.