Western Ashkenaz trop (leynen), and recordings

• Topic Author
29 Nov 2009 14:20 #1515 by
I would be delighted if you could add (more) leynen material to the Nusach Project, or if you could point me to any other site which would have such material. (Sound-only; I don't read music.)

Ideally, I think it would be valuable to have a grammar/phrase-based mini-course, but a "sulam zarka" would also be welcome. Longish sample readings would be a nice bonus.

I've obviously seen the Benno Weis post. Before I bother his daughter, does anyone know in what form she has the recordings (ie cassettes only, on the internet, ...)?

In case I haven't imposed enough yet, a side-question: How much variation is there between the leynen melodies of Frankfurt, Elsass-Lothringen, and England.

Aryeh

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Dec 2009 03:02 #1517 by SBS
The B. Weis recordings are cassettes (last I checked which was about a year ago). I have the listing of what is available.

Steven

More
01 Dec 2009 03:03 #1518 by BAvis
The Dartmouth Jewish Sound Archive has many but not all of the recordings of Mr. Benno Weis ob"m available on the internet for free. They are to listen only, not for download. The website is free, but you first need to be granted access, a simple process.

BAvis

• Topic Author
01 Dec 2009 15:12 #1520 by
Thank you Steven and BAvis for your replies.

Steven, the Dartmouth archives seem to be sample leynings exclusively. Is that the case for all of the recordings, or is there also some "pedagogical" material? Could you also tell me what is available other than the "standard" Shabbes leynings?

Aryeh

More
02 Dec 2009 00:59 #1521 by rallisw
What I have been asking for, for a while, is the complete trop notes to be posted on the Nusach Project for not only the weekly Touroh reading but for the Haftouroh, Yomim Nouroim, and the Chomaysh Megillous. (including the not often chanted notes, for example the Shalsheles, etc.)

Rallis

Minhag Avoseinu Torah Hee!

• Topic Author
03 Dec 2009 14:43 #1527 by
Here is one resource I know of, with recordings and sheet music of the weekly trop according to Alsatian custom. (Recording in Real format.)

Please click here.

Aryeh

More
04 Dec 2009 03:17 #1528 by SBS
The Dartmouth archive is not complete but it is a good resource for quite a bit of material. You will need to request an ID that will need a follow up email outlining the reason you want access to the recordings. Just be prepared for that.

Steven

More
27 Dec 2009 03:54 #1552 by Michael

Aryeh wrote: In case I haven't imposed enough yet, a side-question: How much variation is there between the leynen melodies of Frankfurt, Elsass-Lothringen, and England.

In the book "The Ashkenazi tradition of biblical chant between 1500-1900", Hanoch Aven Ary compared between these traditions, and his conclusion was that the differences are very minor and meaningless.

Michael FRBSH

• Topic Author
28 Dec 2009 14:30 #1556 by
Thanks. I'll try to get access to Avenary's monograph, which I was not familiar with.

Does anyone have any thoughts regarding "The Music of the Hebrew Bible: The Western Ashkenazic Tradition" by Victor Tunkel?

Aryeh