White Kaepchen, Sargenes, Tallis For R"H and Y"K

More
17 Nov 2009 14:46 #1507 by MPerlman
Is there a difference between Tachrichim and a Sargenes? Could one just go to the local Chevra Kadisha and obtain Tachrichim and wear those on RH and YK?

MPerlman

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Dec 2009 13:39 #1531 by Michael
If you go the Chevra Kadisha in Elzas, you will find the same Sargenes used for Yomim Noro'im. In Eretz Yisroel most likely the Sargenes will be quite different.

Michael FRBSH

More
11 Dec 2009 16:08 #1533 by RSteinberger
Replied by RSteinberger on topic White Kaepchen, Sargenes, Tallis For R"H and Y"K
I know it’s nearly Chanuka, but I’ve only just joined this forum and have been reading some of the topics.

So here’s my first post on the subject of wearing white on Rosh Hashana. It seems to me that the custom of a white tallis and white kittel are hinted at by the Tur and the Yalkut (Parshas Vo’eschanan) in the reference to being Lovshim Le’vonim and Mis’atphim Le’vonim, which I take to refer to the Kittel and the Tallis. I would be happy to hear comments on this.

Regards

Richard St

More
13 Dec 2009 14:37 #1542 by Michael
That is definitely a good source for the Kittel or Sargenes.

Michael FRBSH

More
25 Sep 2011 13:21 #2038 by JMGoldschmidt
Replied by JMGoldschmidt on topic White Kaepchen, Sargenes, Tallis For R"H and Y"K
Should one wear a kittel on Rosh Hashanah even if he is davening with a tzibbur where no one else has this minhag? Also, the same applies re: wearing one's hat for Shacharis. I seem to recall an essay from R. Schwab in regards to a hat that one should not.

JMGoldschmidt

More
28 Sep 2011 15:55 - 07 Jun 2017 00:43 #2040 by Michael
Regarding the hat, please see this thread .

Michael

More
28 Sep 2011 21:27 #2041 by Michael
If the Tzibbur isn't bothered by the fact you will be wearing a Sargenes, one should wear it.

Michael FRBSH

More
31 Jul 2015 18:23 - 31 Jul 2015 18:24 #2611 by Michael
The address for buying a white kaepchen in EY is:

דינר, שמשון רפאל. נתיבות המשפט 44, מודיעין עילית 7182822
Telephone number 08-9742786
The following user(s) said Thank You: ShlGug

More
31 Jul 2015 18:53 #2612 by Israel
Can somebody tell me how to pronounce sargenes?

Is it Sar -gen -es

or

Sar-gen

or

Sar - genes?

More
02 Aug 2015 12:17 #2614 by Israel
The answer to my question regarding pronunciation is in Tefiloh Sefas Yisroel, XXXVII. It's given there in yiddish letters and appears to say Sarg - nes סארגנס or could be sarge-eness.

Regarding the headcovering the pron. seems to be kep-shen. page XXXVII

More
28 Aug 2015 18:39 #2646 by Israel
I just spoke to a German friend, real German, who says the word is pronounced - at least by gentile Germans - as cap-chen with a ch like a chof.

More
25 Sep 2015 12:16 #2663 by RSteinberger
Replied by RSteinberger on topic White Kaepchen, Sargenes, Tallis For R"H and Y"K
You can order a Kapchen from Goldschmidt in Basel, although it is called a Mütze there, see:

www.victorgoldschmidt.ch/gebetbuecher/ro...om-kippur/muetze.php

Also the website is only in German, so it is a challenge to order it on-line if you don’t speak the language.

G’mar Tov

More
26 Sep 2015 01:11 #2665 by NMuhlgay
For those in the US, Henry Lehmann of KAJ/WH makes and sells them, as well as the black ones worn throughout the year. His email is This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. .

More
27 Sep 2015 03:39 #2666 by JBieler
Gut Woch,

if your have Bitochaun in a native German's pronunciaton and Messauro: It is Sár-ge-ness. The stress is a little at the front.
Gut Jaumtauw

More
27 Sep 2015 04:03 #2667 by JBieler
And the other one.. It is Käppchen. Stress upfront, very short. And the Umlaut ä is pronounced almost like in elderly (like at the beginning of the word) or eligible or enter.