Kabbolas Shabbos-alternating recitation of Tehillim, seated?

More
11 Sep 2008 00:41 #586 by Litvak
I believe that you say/sing/chant the mizmorim of 'kabbolas Shabbos' in a manner alternating the pesukim between the chazan and the tzibbur.

1) What is the source/reason for that ?

2) Do other followers of minhag Ashkenaz do so as well (how widespread is it)?

3) Is this (such alternating responsive recitation of mizmorim) done on other occasions in Shul as well (if so, please provide details) ?

4) I saw in the madrich that the other tzad (chazan or tzibbur) also says bilachash, the pesukim that the other side says out loud. Is it absolutely necessary to do so ?

5) Does the tzibbur sit or stand during Lecha dodi and during Mizmor shir liyom haShabbos ?

Litvak

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
17 Sep 2008 03:52 #596 by Michael
In all of Europe Tehillim and Psukei Dezimroh (in the summer) were said Posuk Posuk (one by chazzan and one by the congregation), therefore the natural way to say the Pesukim in Kabbolas Shabbos (when people started saying Kabbolas Shabbos), was Posuk by Posuk.

Lately (before the war) this minhog was kept only in Ashkenaz and some Hungarian communities. Shir Hayichud is also said (by all who say out) in this way and melody.

Although you may not have to say the other part quietly (because you can be Youtzei from the chazzan), it is best not to have to rely on the chazzan, because you may not hear all he says. Of course this is more important in Psukei Dezimroh (where one should be saying all of Psukei Dezimroh) than in Kabbolas Shabbos (which is a late minhag).

In Mizmor Ledovid Hovu Lashem, Lecho Doudi and Mizmor Shir Leyoum Hashabbos one sits.

Michael FRBSH

More
21 Sep 2008 13:37 #604 by Daniel
I have a recording of R' Hamburger singing Kabbolas Shabbos. When he sings Hashem malach tageil ha'arets he repeats the last pasuk Simchu Tzadikim two times. Why?

Daniel

More
21 Sep 2008 13:40 #605 by Michael
The Tehillim are said Posuk by Posuk, one by the Chazan, and the next by the congregation. The Chazan always says the first and the last Posuk. Since Hashem Moloch Togeil etc. has an even amount of Pesukim, the congregation says the last Posuk, therefore the chazan repeats it again after them, to finish the Peirek out loud.

Michael

More
30 Sep 2009 03:32 #1434 by MPerlman

Michael wrote: In all of Europe Tehillim and Psukei Dezimroh (in the summer) were said Posuk Posuk (one by chazzan and one by the congregation).

P'sukei D'zimra (in the summer) was not said Pasuk Pasuk (one by the Chazzan and one by the congregation), but rather one by the Chazzan and one by the Shamash. See Minhagei Vermaiza.

MPerlman

More
01 Oct 2009 15:06 #1435 by ynathan
My father O"h told me to stand by Mizmor Shir Lyom Hashabbos, & that was the Minhag in Munich.

Yehuda Nathan