Boruch Hu Uvoruch Shmo

More
11 Jan 2016 01:15 - 19 Jan 2016 15:52 #2697 by CAUllmann
Boruch Hu Uvoruch Shmo was created by CAUllmann
MY FATHER Z.L. USED TO SAY 'BORUCH HU UVORUCH SHMO' BEFORE HE STARTED BENTCHING, EVEN WHEN HE BENTCHED BEYICHUDUS. MY SON RECENTLY DISCOVERED A BENTCHER PUBLISHED IN FURTH CA 1680, WHICH IMPLIES THAT THIS WAS THE CUSTOM, AND I AM TOLD BY A TALMID OF A PROMINENT ASHKENAZI EDUCATOR THAT THIS IS HOW HE TAUGHT THE CHILDREN IN HIS SCHOOL. I AM AWARE THAT MANY SEFORIM WRITE THAT AN INDIVIDUAL SHOULD NOT SAY THIS SENTENCE BEFORE BENTCHING, BUT THERE SEEMS TO BE A TRADITION TO THIS EFFECT. WOULD ANYONE NOW A SOURCE?
I LOOK FORWARD TO TO HEARING FROM ANYONE WHO KNOWS A SOURCE.
CA ULLMANN

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2016 15:52 #2704 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic BORUCH HU UVORUCH SHMO
Rav Hamburger told me that Boruch Hu Uvoruch Shmo reffers to our mentioning of Hashem in the Zimun, (therefore when there isn't Zimun, there doesn't seem to be a reason to say it).
According to minhag Polin many didn't say it at all, and those he said it did so only when there is a Minyan in the Zimun, since then one says Nevorech Elokeinu, and Boruch Elokeinu, and that is why you say Boruch Hu Uvoruch Shmo.
According to Minhag Ashkenaz it is said even without a Minyan, since we reffer to Hashem when we say Boruch She'ochalnu Mishelo (and that also is a reason to say Boruch Hu Uvoruch Shmo).
When there is a Zimun, the Minhag is that everyone says Boruch Hu Uvoruch Shmo, and not only the Mezamen, (Although some hold that only the Mezamen himself should say it).

It would be interesting if you could scan and attach the Bentcher from Furth.

More
31 Jan 2016 01:53 #2706 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic BORUCH HU UVORUCH SHMO
Attached is the Bentcher, sent to me BY Mr. Ullman.
Attachments: