Glatt Kosher, Cholov Yisroel, Yoshon

More
19 May 2008 13:21 #326 by rallisw
Glatt Kosher, Cholov Yisroel, Yoshon was created by rallisw
What is the tradition of Bnei Ashkenaz in regard to the following:

Glatt Kosher - Is regular kosher sufficient?: If not, there a grade of glatt similar to Beis Yousef Glatt?

Cholov Yisroel - I understand that today in Europe, unlike the US and Great Britain, one cannot rely on Cholov Stam as kosher?

Yoshon - Does Yoshon only apply in Eretz Yisroel, or must one be makpid even in Chutz LoOretz?

Rallis

Minhag Avoseinu Torah Hee!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2008 04:02 #331 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Glatt Kosher, Cholov Yisroel, Yoshon
Glatt Kosher - although Me'ikar Hadin you do not need to keep the chumroh of the Beis Yosef regarding the sirchos, it is very hard to rely on regular Kosher because of the many other problems that need to be taken care of regarding general Kashrus questions. If KAJ of Washington Heights would have a non-Glatt Shechitoh, that definitely would be OK. Additionally, now since it's much easier to get Glatt Kosher meat - it is a bigger inyon to be Makpid on it.

Michael FRBSH

More
23 May 2008 04:07 #332 by Michael
Cholov Yisro'el - this question has to do more with the different situation in each country than with Minhag Ashkenaz. In Eretz Yisro'el people are Makpid on Cholov Yisro'el.

Michael FRBSH

More
23 May 2008 04:11 #333 by Michael
Yoshon - In Ashkenaz the problem wasn't as bad as in Poland etc. (since the wheat used to grow early enough), so generally they did not have to rely on the Heter of using Chodosh in Chutz Lo'oretz. But they were Meikel when they had a problem with it.

Michael FRBSH

More
13 Aug 2009 14:05 #1306 by MPerlman
Replied by MPerlman on topic Glatt Kosher, Cholov Yisroel, Yoshon
Regular Kosher is sufficient, if one can find an expert kashrus who knows how to do it. When Rav Breuer zt"l first came to NY he preferred Glatt Yoshor to Glatt Kosher. His kashrus department did not provide Glatt Kosher but its ethics were Glatt Yoshor.

Everyone is obligated to observe Chalav Yisroel. Just that Rav Moshe Feinstein's ruling that what people call Chalav Stam in the US has the status of Chalav Yisroel. In other countries the circumstances that caused that ruling are not available.

MPerlman

More
13 Aug 2009 23:19 #1311 by ynathan
Replied by ynathan on topic Glatt Kosher, Cholov Yisroel, Yoshon
My father O"h told me that he heard from Rav Breuer Z"tl that the reason that KAJ switched to "Glatt" Shechitah in the early 1950's. Namely, because the Shochtim Union only allowed the customer to pick a Schochet if they did it "Glatt", otherwise it was the shop steward's choice. Mind you, this "Glatt" does not necessarily mean free of Sirchos!

Yehuda Nathan

More
18 Oct 2009 21:49 #1461 by Daniel
Replied by Daniel on topic Glatt Kosher, Cholov Yisroel, Yoshon
Can Ashkenazim eat Bais Yosef meat? (I'm not actually sure what it is - I don't know if it's more chamur or maikil, if it involves a different masorah, or not).

Daniel

More
08 Nov 2009 02:18 #1481 by Michael
Bais Yosef meat is a chumroh (called many times "Glatt Kosher meat"), and definitely could be eaten by Ashkenazim, as long as one relies on the Hashgocho used.

Michael

More
16 Feb 2010 04:05 #1625 by Michael
Rav Hamburger sent me the following, regarding Yoshon:

רוב בני אשכנז הקילו באכילת חדש. ויש בזה הרבה דיונים בדברי הפוסקים. אך תמיד היו מהדרין שהקפידו לא לאכול 'חדש'. ועל כך כתב רבינו החתם סופר בשו"ת חת"ס יו"ד, סי' י"ח: קשה מאוד לשבור מנהג ישראל אפי' להקל, וראה כמה... טרחו ליישב מנהג היתר בחדש לפני עומר, והכל ליישב המנהג, ומ"מ בעל נפש יחוש לעצמו. וכן מילי טובא, אין למהר לחדש איסור ומכ"ש היתר, כי מנהג ישראל תורה היא, והכלל החדש אסור מן התורה בכל מקום והישן ומיושן משובח ממנו

Michael