Mincha

More
13 May 2008 01:30 #315 by Daniel
Mincha was created by Daniel
What is the latest time that the Minhag is to daven Mincha? It is known that in Washington Heights, Mincha begins ten minutes after shkia. Is this the general Yekke minhag?

Daniel

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 May 2008 03:02 #318 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Mincha
Bein Hashmoshos was not considered to start from the Shki'oh, therefore the Minhag was to daven later than the Shki'oh. Of course in Eretz Yisro'el which is more to the south, you would have to daven closer to the Shki'oh, and the more you are located in the north - the later you could daven (therefore WH can daven 10 minutes after the Shki'oh).

Michael FRBSH

More
16 May 2008 13:13 #321 by Melech
Replied by Melech on topic Mincha
It appears to me that relying on the Bein Hashmoshos of the geonim was done primarily just for Mincha, when many Rishonim and Acharonim hold that you can daven until tzeis hakochavim mamash. But for hundreds of years, the bein hashmoshos of the Geonim was accepted in Frankfurt even for purposes of delaying the date of Milah, in which one cannot just be "machmir" like the geonim because this leads to a milah being done on the 9th day according to those who have a later bein hashmoshos. When controversy struck in Frankfurt in 5495 regading this issue, R. Yaakov Katz's teshuva to rule like the geonim was the accepted position. So this would seem to indicate that, at least by Mitzvos D'oraysa, the Minhag was to be choshesh for the shittah of the geonim as a real sofek, as already paskened l'halachah by the Shach (long before the Gra) on the basis of the Maharam Alshaqar. For further information, see Chapter 46 of "Hazemanim Bahalachah" by Chaim Benish (in lashon hakodesh).

Melech

More
23 May 2008 04:14 #334 by Michael
As you concluded - for questions of De'orisoh in Ashkenaz they were choshesh to the Ge'onim (which hold that the Shki'oh is the beginning of Bein Hashmoshos). But in Derabonon issues - they were not choshesh to that Shittoh.

Michael FRBSH

More
27 Oct 2013 15:02 #2288 by Michael
R' Sidney Strauss wrote to me the following:

1. I believe according to Divrei Kehillos Minchah-Ma`ariv was davened together (as in most places in Germany) Su-Th., I assume Minchah was before Shekiah (anyone have a correction to this?).

2. Rav Schwab told me that most Mikva’os were near the schul so they wanted the men out of the immediate area before the women came.

3. [Friday as Borechu was considered Kabbolas Shabbas so I assume the official Minchah (after the Kabbolas Shabbos sayers) was also before Shekiah; Shabbos was Minchah Gedolah, correct?].

4. Anyway when Rav Breuer came here and the Mikveh was ½ km away (in those days and even post 1982 where it is twice around the corner on a busy commercial street (Broadway) and not on Bennett where the schul is, it is really not a problem).

5. Therefore he wanted Ma`ariv Bizmano and a shiur between Minchah and Ma`ariv which he felt could not be 40-50 minutes long on a weekday so he felt having Ma`ariv Bizmano and Minchah after Shekiah was preferred over Minchah-Ma`ariv together with Minchah before; none of the other German schuls concurred (except some during Sefirah).