The Hat

More
07 May 2008 01:41 #305 by SBS
The Hat was created by SBS
Jews for centuries have been wearing hats (varying shapes, sizes and colors). It seems that only within the past few centuries the hat has been positioned as headgear of religious significance (based on size, shape and color in more recent years). It is mentioned in a variety of sources that one should wear a hat for davening because one should dress in schul for davening as one would walk in the street. Is this the main reason that the hat has become so significant? We know that in many German schuls it was actually top hats that were worn as in Germany it was the top hat the people wore in the street at that time. 2 specific questions:

When did the hat begin taking on religious significance?
When did jews first begin wearing hats and what information is available on this?
It appears wearing a hat is not Halacha but rather a minhag. Wearing black is mentioned in the Germarah but I'm not sure wearing a hat is.What information is available on this topic?

Steven

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 May 2008 01:28 - 17 Aug 2014 23:49 #310 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic The Hat
As you mentioned, hats were used for centuries. In Beis Hamikdosh the Cohanim wore a מצנפת which was also a hat (bigger than the kippah we wear), so it is very likely that since our Tefilloh is what we can do instead of Avodas Hamikdosh - a hat is important.
The hats changed a lot from generation to generation, sometimes because of pressure from outside, and sometimes because of internal reasons. As you mentioned, the hats changed since last generation to this, from top hats to others. Only the chassidim looked at their Shtreimel as something that has certain Keddushah in it and has to be preserved.

Michael FRBSH

More
29 Apr 2010 04:13 #1724 by SBS
Replied by SBS on topic The Hat
When did the hat get introduced as a requirement or at least as a representation of the headgear the Cohain Gadol wore? Clearly people wore hats way back when. I'm interested to know when it took on a significance in terms of how one dresses for davening and thus has become a requirement from the perspective of many.

Steven

More
11 May 2010 01:46 - 30 May 2014 14:42 #1733 by Michael
The hat was always considered an important part of the clothing, as we can see that both the Cohen and Cohen Godol had a special hat.
In the German Kehillos there was Hakpodo on the hat, and one who took of the hat was considered not being respectful.

The Kitzur Shlo says:

אותם בני הישובים שהולכים לבית הכנסת מסירים תכף הכובע ועומדים רק בכיסוי המצנפת, לא שפיר עבדי, לא די שאין להם סודר (כיסוי ראש גדול) אלא שמסירים גם הכובע מראשיהם, אבל מוטב שיניחו הכובע בראשיהם כי בכגיסוי ראש יש מורא שמים יותר

And the Mekor Chayim (of the Chavas Yoir) says:

ורוב המון עם בפרט הישובים נוהגים כמה קלות ראש, לא היו מתעטפים בטלית והיו עומדים בכיפה. אוי להם מיום הדין

Michael FRBSH

More
17 May 2010 23:59 #1746 by rallisw
Replied by rallisw on topic The Hat
If one happens to be davening by oneself, is Minhag Ashkenaz still insistent that one be wearing both a hat and a jacket?

Rallis

Minhag Avoseinu Torah Hee!

More
21 May 2010 17:41 #1752 by Michael
Yes.

Michael FRBSH

More
30 May 2014 06:19 #2390 by NMuhlgay
Replied by NMuhlgay on topic The Hat
Does a käppchen qualify as a hat, al pi minhag Ashkenaz?

More
08 Jun 2014 05:14 #2395 by Michael
The Minhag was to wear the most dignified hat one wore, for the Davening. This changes from place to place and from time to time, and in some places or some times one hat would be considered the most dignified hat, while in other times the same hat could be considered not appropriate.
In places which the Kaepchen is the hat which is worn, it definitely qualifies as a hat according to Minhag Ashkenaz too.

Michael FRBSH

More
21 Nov 2014 04:59 #2469 by NMuhlgay
Replied by NMuhlgay on topic The Hat
In other words, if I am orening in a Chassidic schul, I should wear a kapeljusz? Or cover my head with my tallit in a Sephardi kehillah? What about in a community where the minhag is not to wear a head-cvoering other than the kippah?