Weekday Clothes on Shabbos during the Nine Days

More
15 Jul 2012 19:22 - 10 Aug 2012 13:06 #2151 by RSteinberger
I note in RB Hamburger's instruction for 5772, that he only mentions wearing weekday clothes on Shabbos, this year, on 9th Av.

Does anyone have a source for wearing Shabbos clothes next Shabbos (2nd Av)?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
20 Jul 2012 21:27 #2156 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Weekday Clothes on Shabbos in the Nine Days
In Minhogei Worms it is stated clearly that on the Shabbos of the 2nd of Av, one wears Shabbos clothes, unlike Shabbos Chazzon.

Michael FRBSH

More
23 Jul 2012 01:08 - 10 Aug 2012 13:05 #2158 by RSteinberger
Replied by RSteinberger on topic Weekday Clothes on Shabbos in the Nine Days
Thanks for that. I did manage to locate the relevant text in the 2-volume Minhagei Worms, albeit not in the main text, but in the Hagahos below.

A friend also located another source in the Shaar HaTziyon of the Mishna Berura, Siman 551, footnote 46.

More
14 Jun 2013 12:27 #2244 by Seligmann
Replied by Seligmann on topic Weekday Clothes on Shabbos in the Nine Days
Is it a problem here in Eretz Yisroel to wear weekday clothes on Shabbos Chazzon if no one does it (Davening in a non-Ashkenaz Minyon) since “Minhog HaGra” is not to? Everyone will bash me for not following “Minhog HaGra”!

More
16 Jun 2013 03:13 - 16 Jun 2013 13:42 #2245 by Michael
I asked Moreinu Harav Gans Shlota, and he told me there is a Halocho that one should not be Noheg differently than the people he is among because this can cause Machlokes. Therefore it is not recomended in such a case to wear clothes which are clearly weekday clothes.
But one does not have to wear his tie (even if he wears a tie on every Shabbos and does not wear a tie on weekdays), because this is not clearly weekday clothing, since some people do not wear ties on Shabbos, and sometimes people forget their ties etc.
Also, to wear one suit instead of the other (to wear ones weekday suit instead of his Shabbos suit) is OK too (on condition the weekday suit is also clean).

Michael
The following user(s) said Thank You: Seligmann

More
26 Jun 2013 04:11 #2247 by Melech
Replied by Melech on topic Weekday Clothes on Shabbos in the Nine Days
According to the Aruch Hashulchan one is actually required to wear weekday clothes when the difference is not very nikkar, and one is forbidden to wear weekday clothes when the difference is very nikkar, according to both the Gra as well as all the authorities who preceded him. This explanation makes sense both logically as well as historically lining up very well with the changes in style of dress.

More
26 Jun 2013 17:47 #2248 by Seligmann
Replied by Seligmann on topic Weekday Clothes on Shabbos in the Nine Days
Is this specifically in here in Eretz Yisroel, or even if everyone wears weekday clothes? in Yekkish places people wear weekday clothing that can't be mistaken for shabbos clothing (i.e. gray pants blue jacket with gold buttons and a Kangool cap).

More
03 Jul 2013 01:10 #2253 by Michael
The Oruch Hashulchon is in Orach Chaim, Siman תקנ"א Seif י"א. He is not talking about Eretz Yisroel, he is talking about eastern Europe.
He comes to explain the reason that for many years the Minhag brought in the Remo that one should wear his weekday clothes on Shabbos Chazon was not practiced in Eastern Europe. What he explains is that in the time of the Remo the clothes on Shabbos and weekdays were similar, just that on weekdays one wore simple clothes and Shabbos the clothes were more expensive, but after that the style changed completely, and on Shabbos people wore a Shtreimel hat and silk clothes, and for that reason people considered it Aveilus Befarhesia. He concludes that since today one doesn't wear the Shtreimel and silk clothes any more (in Lithuania), and the difference between Shabbos and weekdays is that on Shabbos the clothes are more expensive than weekdays, one should wear weekday clothes on Shabbos Chazzon.

Michael

More
10 Jul 2013 23:05 #2254 by DDelaney
Replied by DDelaney on topic Weekday Clothes on Shabbos in the Nine Days
If one regularly wears a different weekday tallis and Shabbos tallis, should one wear the weekday tallis on Shabbos Chazon?

More
11 Jul 2013 02:15 #2255 by Melech
Replied by Melech on topic Weekday Clothes on Shabbos in the Nine Days
The Aruch Hashulchan I mentioned above would presumably imply that the Shabbos Tallis may be worn only if the weekday tallis would strongly stand out as not a Shabbos wear. I would think that most people would occasionally use their weekday tallis b'derech aray, and therefore should wear it on Shabbos Chazon, even if their Shabbos tallis is noticeably different (e.g. contains a decorated or silver atara).

Melech

More
11 Jul 2013 10:18 #2256 by RSteinberger
Replied by RSteinberger on topic Weekday Clothes on Shabbos in the Nine Days
See Maharil, page 242, Seif 9, where he states not to wear one's Shabbos Tallis.