Rema Seder Plate

More
17 Mar 2010 00:51 #1679 by DDelaney
Rema Seder Plate was created by DDelaney
Do Judaica stores sell Rema seder plates?
Most Arizal seder plates that I see have the name of the item inscribed in each section. Are there commerically available Rema plates like this, or do people who hold like the Rema just buy seder plates that have indentations that are blank and them put things how they want?
Also, where are the matzos placed? Diagrams I have seen show the matzos in the middle of the plate, but it seems to me the plate would not be big enough. Are the matzos placed seperately or under the plate in a tiered plate?

David

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2010 03:05 - 23 Apr 2014 14:03 #1682 by ABachrach
Replied by ABachrach on topic Rema Seder Plate

MPerlman wrote: 6. Seder Plate to be arranged as is brought in the Ramo in Shulchan Aruch and not like the Arizal or the Gra.

I was actually going to ask about that, so thank you for answering preemptively.

My followup question though is what happens to the hazeret? Is it on the table (but off the seder plate), or is it not present?

Also where do the matzahs go? In the middle or separately?

Thank you

Ari E-B

More
21 Mar 2010 03:29 #1683 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Rema Seder Plate
Unfortunately Ramo Seder plates are not found commercially.

In the past one used to have 3 Matzos, and on top of them put all of the other Mitzvos. In recent generations, a nice 4 story Seder plate was made (this is a Yekkish copyright), and the Matzos went below, and on top of them came the Mitzvos. (The Matzos were not in the middle of the plate).

The Chazeret (horseradish) is not needed when one has lettuce. In Europe Lettuce was not common, therefore horseradish was used. If one uses horseradish in addition to the lettuce, he can hold it on the table (but it doesn't go in the Seder plate).

Michael FRBSH

More
04 Apr 2014 21:14 #2365 by DDelaney
Replied by DDelaney on topic Rema Seder Plate
How did it happen that today in the U.S. EVERYBODY other than Germans uses Ari Seder plates? If the Rema was also the widely accepted Posek of Poland it would seem to me that the non-Chasidic Jews of Polish origin would use the Rema. It is odd to me that 99% of non-Orthodox American Jews use the Ari Seder Plate when I don't thin that all of them had Chasidic ancestors.
My grandparents families came from the Austro-Hungarian Empire and although they used the Ari plate because that was all that was available they remembered salt water on the plate from their childhood so they put it on anyway.

More
11 Apr 2014 16:44 - 22 Apr 2014 05:13 #2372 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Rema Seder Plate
Unfortunately, this is one of the things that happened after the Holocaust - many minhogim dissappeared and can hardly be found. (In Rav Hamburger's you will be able to see more about the Ashkenaz Seider plate).

Michael FRBSH

More
05 May 2016 22:34 #2723 by NMuhlgay
Replied by NMuhlgay on topic Rema Seder Plate
In most modern haggodaus, the seder plate has only five items (leaving out the vinegar/salt water). Do we follow this arrangement, or the one prescribed in א”ח, תעג?