Fasting On Aseres Y'mei Tshuvoh

More
14 Mar 2008 15:48 #154 by rallisw
Fasting On Aseres Y'mei Tshuvoh was created by rallisw
How come the halochoh of fasting three days before Rosh HaShonoh, Tzom Gedalyoh till Yom Kippur, with the exclusion of Shabbos and Erev Yom Kippur has completely fallen into disuse?

My parents had a very dear friend, from Giessen Germany, who even in her eighties, would fast for at least until after chatzos on each of these days.

Shalom,

Rallis

Minhag Avoseinu Torah Hee!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2008 02:31 #174 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Fasting On Aseres Y'mei Tshuvoh
In the time of the Rishonim it was very common that people fasted the whole day for 10 days (7 of Aseres Yemei Teshuvoh excluding Shabbos and Rodh Hashono + another 3 days before Rosh Hashono). Later it became hard for people, and it became more common to fast until Chatzos. In Fulda, until the holocaust, the minyan for Mincha was around noon time for this purpose (so people could say "Aneinu" in Mincha, and then brake their fast).
We do have stories of different people who used to fast the whole day nowadays also, but it seems that the whole minhag just became somehow weaker, and not practiced so much.

Michael FRBSH

More
18 Mar 2008 14:11 #177 by Melech
Replied by Melech on topic Fasting On Aseres Y'mei Tshuvoh
I believe the Minhag was actually to fast 6 days on Aseres Y'mei Teshuva, as fasting on Erev Yom hakkipurim is assur. There were therefore four days needed before Rosh Hashanah in order to get to 10, hence the minimum 4 days of selichos before Rosh Hashanah, as selichos are always linked with fasting. I believe that some of the selichos that are recited on non-public fast-days actually refer to fasting!

I knew someone who until recently fasted 10 full days, and he explained that the minhag is/was that the first day of selichos and erev Rosh Hashanah are always fast-days. When Rosh Hashanah comes out on Thursday, the four days of selichos before are all fast-days. In other years one fasts on the Monday and Thursday of the week before Rosh Hashanah as well as the first day of selichos and Erev Rosh Hashanah.

Melech

More
20 Mar 2008 01:01 #187 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Fasting On Aseres Y'mei Tshuvoh
You are right, the minhag was to fast 6 days on Aseres Yemei Teshuvoh (excluding the 2 days of Rosh Hashono, Erev yom Kippur and Shabbos), and 4 days in Elul.

Michael FRBSH