Eichoh Perek 3

More
22 Jul 2017 02:43 #2815 by NMuhlgay
Eichoh Perek 3 was created by NMuhlgay
For many years, my father has leined Eichoh Ch. 3 in schul with the niggun of Shaumraun (standard kinnaus niggun) rather than the trop.

Is this minhag Ashkenaz? If so, was this done in Frankfurt a/M?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
31 Jul 2017 19:27 - 31 Jul 2017 19:31 #2820 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Eichoh Perek 3
I asked our Ba'al Koreh, R' Moshe Yehudah Rosenwasser, and although he doesn't lain that way, and didn't hear it lained that way, he did hear of such a minhag, and wrote to me the following:

Here are two versions. Very similar. Apparently it is an old minhag which was lost. I don't know whether it was a German minhag too. I understand that the baalei keriah for rav soloveitchik ztl used this. dr David Soll is a Baal koreh in chaye Adam, an old Boston shul remarked that when he does it the old timers tell him they haven't heard that since Europe. Another gentleman Dr Schuster was born near stolin and he also uses it. He got it from his father. He used it for the bostoner rebbe a'h.

version 1: www.virtualcantor.com/Eicha3b.mp3

Attachments:

More
31 Jul 2017 21:54 - 02 Aug 2017 01:12 #2821 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Eichoh Perek 3
I was told by a friend who lived in the old city, that they had a Ba'al Koreh (called R' Yosef Meir Katzburg) who was an Oiberlander Hungarian, and lained the 3rd Perek similar to the way recorded above. I attached a recording (done by the friend who used to hear him), but the recording isn't too good.
Attachments:

More
12 Sep 2017 06:14 - 12 Sep 2017 14:08 #2835 by Melech
Replied by Melech on topic Eichoh Perek 3
I can confirm that in the old German shul in Cincinnati, the ba'al koreh (who learned is leining in small town South Germany, in a minhag Reinus area) leined the third perek of Eichoh exactly like the version 2 attachment of Rabbi Rosenwasser. Baruch Hashem the Minhag is not lost - a related version is done in many of the Chofetz Chaim Yeshivos for instance.