Sitting With One's Back to the Aron

More
01 Dec 2015 06:38 #2681 by Daniel
Sitting With One's Back to the Aron was created by Daniel
It is well known that German Jewry is makpid not to sit or stand with one's back to the aron. Rav Hamburger has told me that Polish Jewry was not as makpid regarding this. There are several things in schul that indicate we are careful regarding this. The bima is surrounded by mechitzos so the Rav (when he gives his drasha) will not have his back to the aron. The Kohanim all kiss the paroches after their backs are to the aron. In L'cha Dodi we bow forward toward the aron after having are backs toward it to show it was not meant in a disrespectful manner.

Here is the question: In Ashkenaz schuls it is not uncommon to have seating on all four walls. How can there be seating on the eastern wall?? This seemingly goes against the hakpada of not having your back to the aron!

I can propose two answers, although I do not really like either one. In German schuls the aron is often built in a "sefer torah niche" which is located outside of schul. Perhaps this removes the issue of sitting with your back to the aron since it is a different reshus. Second, perhaps siting with one's back to the wall is not the same as having your back to the aron. If I am in front of the aron, my back is toward the wall. If I am up against the wall, my back is to the wall, not the aron.

I have attempted to ask this question to both Rav Hamburger and Rav Doerfer, but have not received an answer... If anyone has additional insight, I would like more information.
Thanks!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Dec 2015 23:27 - 03 Dec 2015 01:53 #2682 by NMuhlgay
Replied by NMuhlgay on topic Sitting With One's Back to the Aron
Another interesting note is that in photos of KAJ/FFAM, there is an amud facing the kehillah on the duchan right in front of the sha"tz's amud.

See here: www.kayj.net/mm/memoirs/Neuberger,%20Mem...urt,%20photo%202.jpg
Attachments:

More
18 Jan 2016 09:14 #2699 by NMuhlgay
How does this affect Kauhanim during duchaning, where we need to face the kehilla.

More
19 Jan 2016 00:20 #2700 by Daniel
Replied by Daniel on topic Sitting With One's Back to the Aron
Clearly that is how the kohanim stand - see Tosefta in Megillah, 3:14 for part of this discussion, although there's a lot more to say about it.

More
16 Feb 2016 10:04 #2708 by NMuhlgay
I have noticed Eastern European rabbonim seem makpid to have their backs to the aron, in fact, when I watch shiurim, the maggidei shiur are typically standing directly in front of the aron.

On the other hand, if the aron is halachically in another room, could one put one's back to it?