Using Beer For Havdoloh Motzei Pesach

More
16 Apr 2008 05:00 #250 by rallisw
Using Beer For Havdoloh Motzei Pesach was created by rallisw
I understand that there is a Minhog (HaGro) to davka make havdoloh on Motzoei Pesach over beer, the reason being, the first chometz one consumes should be als mitzvoh. Is there such a minhog among Bnei Ashkenaz?

Rallis

Minhag Avoseinu Torah Hee!

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Apr 2008 12:27 #252 by Melech
Replied by Melech on topic Using Beer For Havdoloh Motzei Pesach
I don't know what the minhag Ashkenaz was for havdalah on Mots'oei Pesach, but obviously any minhag to use beer presupposes that it is a chamar medinoh. I don't know if everyone agrees to this, but the Chazon Ish zt"l paskened that in Eretz Yisro'el bizmannenu there isn't any chamar medinoh. If one accepts this psak, then it would be impossible to make havdoloh on beer in Eretz Yisro'el. Those living in Chutz lo'oretz also presumably need to inquire of their Rabbonim whether beer is considered chamar medinoh in their locality bizmanenu.

Melech

More
23 Apr 2008 03:41 #269 by rallisw
Replied by rallisw on topic Using Beer For Havdoloh Motzei Pesach
Myron Chaitovsky writes that it is a German minhag to use beer for Havdolo on Motzoei Pessach. As a member in long good standing of the Breuer Kehilla cited in Mr. Chaitovsky's post, I should note that to my knowledge, this minhag is not observed by most families in Washington Heights and I am certain that it is not observed in the Breuer family. I have been told by people who grew up in Frankfurt that this minhag was observed in Germany mainly by Jews who had Polish connnections (either geographic or educational) and may have also been observed after the Nazis banned the production of kosher wine.

Moed Tov!

Rallis

Minhag Avoseinu Torah Hee!

More
24 Apr 2008 15:27 #279 by Michael
Replied by Michael on topic Using Beer For Havdoloh Motzei Pesach
I just heard from Rav Hamburger the same - the Minhag of doing Havdolo on beer is not an Ashkenaz minhag (only the Gro's).

Michael